3 Reasons Why You Should Love Yourself On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Let’s face it, the Valentine’s Day blues (or should I say reds?) make all of us a little bitter at one point or another in our lives. All of the happy couples leave the singles wishing they had that ‘special someone’, and the singles put a damper on the V-Day atmosphere for all of the love birds out there. We just can’t win, can we? Whether it’s crying into a box of last year’s chocolates while watching your favorite chick flick or going out to an overcrowded restaurant with your sweetie and spending next month’s rent on dinner, something always seems to go wrong.

As I see it, there’s only one way that you can truly celebrate the national day of love, without the work of cupid’s arrow: by spending it happily with yourself. After all, you rock! Don’t you? At the end of the day, there isn’t anyone that knows all about you quite like you do. Want to stay in bed all day, binging on Netflix? Take yourself to your favorite restaurant with a good book? Go out to a social with some friends and dance the night away? Go for it, girl! Only you have the power to do what makes you the most happy.

Still not convinced? Here are my top three reasons why this February 14th should be dedicated all to you.

1. You can never truly love another, until you learn to love yourself

This cheesy proverb really says it all for me. Until you completely understand who you are and what you are looking for in a relationship, love isn’t going to come as naturally to you as it should. If you’re trying to force a relationship to work that just isn’t clicking, you are going to run into some major problems. In this situtation, those big V-Day plans could end up going terribly, terribly wrong.

2. You can save a lot of money

Valentine’s Day can get pricey. After gifts, dinner at a romantic restaurant, and the price of a movie, show or some other special event, you’re going to be running low on cash. As college students, every penny counts, so why not skip the Hallmark card and stick to a casual night in?

3. There’s no pressure

While cupid may think that he’s doing us all a favor by playing matchmaker, unfortunately, he’s just making it harder for us. Between the outfits and makeup, gifts and holiday expectations from your significant other, Valentine’s Day creates a lot of pressure. Instead of spending the night overthinking, save yourself the stress and use this Saturday for a little bit of ‘me-time.’ What’s a better time to catch up on some Z’s or get some studying in than a night when all of your friends will be busy?

No matter what you choose to do, the most important thing is to make sure you are happy. That’s the most important thing, always. If nothing else, you will look back on the holiday knowing that you did what was best for YOU.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian 
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber