10 Crafty and Affordable Valentine’s Day Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Don’t know what to get your cutie this Valentine’s Day? This dilemma happens to the best of us. We all want to give our Valentine something  special, but that may be hard to find (especially on a college budget.) Instead, try creating one of these unique and crafty gifts  for your love.

1. Scrapbook Gift

The typical scrapbook can get boring. So create something unique! Make a scrapbook of your hiking adventures, focus on all the fun concerts you’ve been to or the memories you are looking forward to making. A few ideas include the following:

Music:A musical scrapbook will include a number of songs of your choosing that relate to your relationship.  Choose songs and describe why you picked them, post pictures that relate, draw on the pages, post stickers, etc. Be creative! Make a CD so your honey can listen to the songs while they go through the book.

Photos – The traditional scrapbook includes printing off pictures of your loved one, and place them into the categories.  Try organizing the pages by months!  Do you both like to go hiking? Do you go to a lot of concerts? The more personal you make it, the more special it will be.

2. Coupon Book

You could go online and find a site with pre-made coupons, or you could make your own. Just take some paper, cut it into smaller pieces and staple it together. Next, write down coupons for “one special dinner,” or ”one free massage.” Think of things that your Valentine would appreciate and actually use.

3. Video

Make a video with the lyrics of your favorite song. An example can be found here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ULqmWiPkJc&list=UU8dlxHWAC9E1LGUWQ5wqLkw&index=1

4. Cookie Jar

Take an empty cookie jar lying around your house, and write down fun ideas for you two to do together and place them in the jar. Another idea is to write things you love about them on the slips of paper.

5. Story Book

Tell them a story that describes how you feel about them. Make it personal by having you two be the characters that fall in love and eventually spend the rest of their lives together.

6. Scavenger Hunt Dinner

Take them on a scavenger hunt. Use riddles to lead them around  (don’t make them too hard!) Don’t come out until the very last clue. At the end, wait for them with flowers and a special dinner you have made for them.

7. Sing a Song

You don’t have to have a professional recording studio for this one. Take a song that reminds you of your Valentine and do your own cover. Download Audacity and record it right from your computer. It doesn’t matter if you have the voice for it or not. They will appreciate the effort you put into it.

8. Poem Book

Write them a poem and turn it into a book. Draw pictures that lead them through the book and show what you are feeling as you tell them how it is you feel about them.

9. Gift Basket

You can still fill this up on a budget. Get a small basket and get their favorite items. A bag of chips, a candy bar, Chap Stick, some of their favorite drinks and you’re done. This shows them you know them well and you are thoughtful enough to remember everything.

10. Five-course meal

Probably the most expensive on the list, you can decide how much or how little you’d like to spend on this one. Think of all their favorite meals and cook for a special Valentine’s Day dinner. Then, serve them one by one by candlelight and roses. Talk about romantic.

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis