Workin’ On Your Fitness: Tips to Look and Feel Your Best This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

And so we’re back to that time of year again when the inevitable happens . . . bathing suit season. The headaches of feeling not-so-chic and fit are at an all time high. So what’s the cure? Getting that perfectly toned beach bod of course!

WRONG.

Today, girls constantly lack self-confidence when it comes to their bodies; it is something that we don’t even think twice about. That gloom of realizing you have to start all those crazy juice cleanses, detoxes, and insane workouts can definitely cause some major anxiety as the weather heats up. There are a bunch of easy ways to help you feel confident and beautiful in your skin this summer and the good news is they don’t involve any insane diets that’ll leave you starving and in need of a Big Mac or two. 

When it comes to food it can be tricky to break old habits. I mean who doesn’t enjoy a few cookies for dessert, or dominos cheesy bread when they’ve had a little too much wine? Everyone’s bodies are different and so it the way they metabolize foods. But there are certain tricks to gaining that feeling of your best self this summer and one example is to drop those harmful preservatives that you weren’t even aware of! 

The Whole30 challenge is 30 days of eating clean. It is free from all artificial ingredients, added sugars, preservatives and eliminates all processed food and dairy. So, basically, stay away from anything that has an ingredients list! It encourages a diet of meat, seafood, vegetables, and some fruits. You can learn more about the Whole30 challenge here!

If that seems like too big of a leap for you, another diet that is my personal favorite is one where you limit your carbohydrate intake. Carbs are next to the greatest thing on earth. I mean even Oprah Winfrey cries to the gods at how much she loves her bread. But I found that the trick to carbohydrate intake is to have them once a day; it lowers my blood sugar level, which results in speeding up my metabolism. Dinner is always my biggest meal of the day so I like to save my carbs for dinner, but everyone is different! Keeping a low carb diet has helped me track the number of calories I’m intaking, while at the same time helping me shed unwanted weight. And the best art is, when I do treat myself to carbs, I never feel guilty. In fact, I’m less bloated and my body likes me better for it! 

Working out is something that I’m personally not a fan of. The thought of dragging myself to the gym daily to run on a treadmill makes my head spin. But workout classes on the other hand get me excited for the day. 

Some affordable popular workout classes that help build muscle, tone, and slim you down can be found below:

• Hot yoga (or regular yoga) – Not only are these classes super fun, but they are relaxing at the same time. You can burn anywhere from 500-750 calories per class, while also getting your daily dose of zen
  • Barre Class  Using your own body to get toned and fit is pretty cool. Using minimal weights, and workout equipment, you’ll find your body getting sculpted in no time.
  • Kickboxing – Need to take out all that built up energy inside you? Kickboxing might just be the cure. Most classes are an hour, and at first they might kick your butt, but there is no better way to get in shape fast then strapping on your gloves and working your whole body.

No matter which way you prefer burning your calories, working out is super important. Not only for that desired beach bod, but for staying healthy in general. 

This summer as every girl strives to look her best, remember to look in the mirror every so often and remind yourself that you are beautiful as is, and after that if you feel as though you want to improve yourself, do so! But don’t beat yourself up – treat your body like the temple it is.

By giving your body the right nutrients and exercise, you’ll find happiness within your results and happiness in your skin. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Journalism Major at Montclair State University, Carrie Bradshaw wanna be ~ & proud supporter of messy buns and over sized sweaters.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.