This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The modeling industry has changed so much over the past few years. Nowadays, we see plus-sized models, busty models, and models of various different ethnicities featured in magazines and on the runway. But what do Karlie Kloss, Ashley Graham, and Tyra Banks all have in common? They are all at least 5’9.

It is great to hear that agencies are finally accepting non-traditional models of different weights and races than the models we saw twenty years ago, who all looked the same. But why are there still no short girls on the major runway or in mainstream magazines?

Though it may be difficult, it is technically possible for someone to change her weight, hair color, and even eye color. But height is the one purely genetic physical feature. So why should the beautiful 4’11 girl who has always dreamed of walking the runway be denied the chance because of the one feature that she has no control over?

Many clothing companies will take one look at a girl during casting and tell her she is too short, even if she has a beautiful face. Victoria’s Secret, for instance, (although they are a great brand), is known not to hire angels under 5’8. Even companies that do take “petite models” are really defining “petite” as 5’5-5’7 once you read the fine print.

Veronica Lake, Elizabeth Taylor, and Marilyn Monroe were known to be some of the most beautiful women of all time… and their heights ranged from 4’11-5’5. So they would not be able to walk the runway today, according to Google! When you search the “average height for a model,” the immediate Google response is: “between 5 ft 8 in (173 cm) and 5 ft 11 in.” 

So, to all the agencies out there, please answer this question: Where are the petite models?

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.