What I Took From Online Dating in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Online dating in college: this might have seemed like an extreme act of desperation a few years ago, but now, more and more people are starting to find love online. Most of my friends found their boyfriend or girlfriend at a party or met through mutual friends, but I haven’t had the best of luck when comes to meeting guys naturally. I began to read stories about people finding their significant other on an online dating site and decided to try a few of them out!

Here’s what I learned about online dating in college:

You’re More Confident

I don’t know about you, but I tend get pretty nervous when I meet a cute guy in person for the first time. My words start to ramble together, my hands get sweaty and I have a million thoughts running through my head. My first encounter with guys never really work out in my favor, but I have found that I am a lot more confident talking to a guy online. It’s easier to get a conversation flowing without those silent awkward moments and attempting to make eye contact and failing miserably. Talking to someone online gives you a chance to get to know them and when the time comes to meet them in person, that feeling of nervousness isn’t as great. 

You Meet Your Fair Share of Jerks

The downside of online dating in college is that you come across many jerks. I’ve met tons of jerks on dating sites and over time I have learned how to handle those situations. Some start out being very nice and sweet, but the minute you turn them down, they become a completely different person. Don’t let those jerks stop you from finding what you’re looking for. 

It’s An Easy Way to Meet New People

I’m not going to lie, I’m a very lazy person and usually try to find an easy way to do everything, most college kids do. With online dating, you don’t even have to leave your bed to talk to someone. You can go at your own pace and when you meet someone worth meeting up with in person, you can use that extra amount of energy you’ve been waiting to use for your date. 

Some Guys Just Don’t Know the Meaning of Respect 

I’ve talked to my fair share of guys on dating apps and a good portion of those guys treated me like I was a piece of meat waiting to be devoured. Those guys did not want to get to know me at all and just expected me to jump into bed with them the minute they gave me a compliment. I’ve also made plans to meet up with guys who seemed decent, but come to find out, they had expected much more than what I was willing to give. I respect myself too much to just be used by someone I barely know. 

People Don’t Judge As Much As You Think

Dating online has become a social norm in today’s age. It’s the most common way to meet people who share your interests. When I first started used dating apps, I was so embarrassed to tell people. It just made me feel like I wasn’t brave enough to meet someone in person. Now when I tell people I met someone online, it doesn’t even phase them. My mother is even okay with me dating online (which is still a shock). You don’t have to be afraid of admitting you’re using dating apps. Honestly, you have an equal shot at meeting “the one” online than waiting around for someone to sweep you off of your feet in real life.  

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hello everyone! My name is BreYana Williams and I currently attend Montclair State University pursuing a to receive a degree in fashion studies with a minor in journalism. I have always had a love for fashion and pop culture ever since I was little and being able to write for HerCampus is literally a dream come true. I have always had a knack for expressing myself through my clothes and writing down my feelings and now I am able to share my own personal input on fashion related topics. I am really excited to share myself with each one of you.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.