This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Coming to a new country and being unfamiliar with the food situation, especially as someone who eats plant-based, can be nerve-wracking. But with a little research, experimentation, and guidance from Happy Cow (the best app in the world) you can find some great and delicious new places! Even though there are so many more, here are my top 5 restaurants!

1. STEREO

This is absolutely my number one and I must confess that I’ve probably been here about 20 times. It’s also worth mentioning that every time I’ve been here I’ve ordered the same sandwich- The Tempeh Ruben. This perfect sandwich is made up of tempeh rashers, cheeze, rocket leaves and Thousand Island dressing on toasted sourdough bread. It is by far the best sandwich I’ve ever had. What I have managed to try aside from that is a different soup of the day to go along with my sandwich each time and they have all completely surprised me with how flavorful they are and how warm they make me feel. They also have a different dessert every day and each time I’ve gone here they have sounded incredible (so naturally I had to try a dessert every time, too!) My favorite would have to be the apple and peanut butter cheesecake. If ever you are in Glasgow, and whether you are a vegetarian, vegan or even if you’re a meat-eater, I assure you this restaurant will pleasantly surprise you. (It also has a bar and music venue with concerts and events running all month every month long! So there is lots of fun to be had.)  

2. PICNIC

Now, this isn’t necessarily a restaurant, but it has delicious food all the same. It is an entirely vegan café that serves gorgeous desserts, coffee and vegan hot chocolate! The inside is very bright and colorful with welcoming and sweet staff. I had carrot cake and hot chocolate with coconut milk and my taste buds were in heaven. If you have a sweet tooth, this is your place! 

3. MONO

This place is awesome. It is a bigger restaurant that has a bar, music venue, and a vinyl shop inside! I went here for lunch and got a pizza that was to die for, and then strolled through the vinyl shop, which had some very unique and quirky music finds. If you are into the hipster music scene then this place will absolutely be your cup of tea. 

4. THE FLYING DUCK

Now if you are under 18, sorry but this one isn’t for you. This is an underground vegan restaurant, bar and music venue that has all of the street/diner food you can dream of. Quesadillas, burritos, burgers, chili cheeze fries, Philly cheeze steaks and MORE! If you’re a skeptic who thinks that there is no way vegan food can taste as good as or anything like meat and dairy filled foods, come here and let these chefs change your mind. They also have a pretty interesting collection of drinks at the bar, and if you like beer and chocolate, you have to try their organic chocolate stout! The gigs are pretty cheap too, so pop over when you’re done stuffing your face! 

5. THE 78

Last but not least, The 78. This one was actually nominated as the best vegan restaurant in the entire UK! It’s quite a walk away from the center of Glasgow, but the food is really amazing. It is a smaller restaurant but the ambiance is lovely and they also have a bar. If you are thinking about trying this one out, be sure to make a reservation because it fills up fast! 

Photo Sources: 1

Allyssa is an English major at Montclair State University. In her spare time she enjoys writing and reading poetry, exploring New York City, strolling through art museums, and driving with the windows down, jamming to The 1975.  
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.