Things Vegetarians and Vegans Are Sick of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Every vegetarian and vegan has a series of phrases they hear over and over again that just makes them roll their eyes. As someone who has been meat free for nearly a decade, I’ve heard everything from simple dietary concerns to angry opposition. Here’s a handy guide on what not to say to your herbivore friends.

“Do you get enough protein?”

Anyone who has been vegetarian or vegan for more than a day has heard this one. While of course it is entirely possible to become protein deficient while on a meat free diet, it’s possible to experience nutrient deficiencies on any diet. Additionally, chances are any person considering changing to vegetarianism or veganism has already considered this.

“But what do you even eat?”

Despite what this question suggests, there are other food groups besides meat. Food choices rely entirely on the individual making them. A meat-free diet offers plenty of flavorful, delicious options. What’s on your plate is only going to be boring if you let it!

“I’m going to slip some bacon into your food, you should eat some meat!”

See, the whole point of the vegetarian and vegan thing is that there is a conscious decision to do the exact opposite of eating meat. Have a friend who is meat-free and you just don’t get it? Accept it and respect it, don’t shove a hamburger in their face.

“I tried tofu once and it was nasty, I don’t know how you do it.”

Well, believe it or not, there are more options than tofu! From black bean burgers to tempeh to quinoa, there is a wealth of delicious and nutritious options that don’t require meat.

“I could never be vegetarian or vegan.”

And that’s fine! While it would be wonderful for everyone to agree with my dietary choices, I understand that it’s not an option for a lot of people for a variety of reasons. When it comes down to it, being meat free means being conscious of where your food comes from in a way that makes the world a better place, for humans and animals alike.

Sources: 1 2 

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.