These are the Classes That Everyone Should Take in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Being a college student is great for plenty of reasons. You get to figure out what you want to do with your life while living with more freedom than you’ve had before and college helps determine your future; you have to do well if you want to succeed in life. However, so many students don’t take full advantage of what they have within their reach.

When you’re in college, you have access to what is a basically an unlimited amount of learning. You have the opportunity to take classes on any subject you can ever imagine. At many schools, you most likely pay the same tuition for up to 18 credits, so why not take an extra class while you can? College is the only time it will ever be this convenient, so now is the time to take those classes you’ve always thought sounded pretty interesting. These are five of the classes you should take while you’ve got time left in college.

Art

You don’t have to be the next Van Gogh in order to take an art class in college; many are even offered as general education requirements! Whether it’s painting, pottery, or jewelry making, taking art in college can really benefit you. You can even take a photography or dance class. Not only will it give you a break from research papers and lectures, but it will get your creative juices flowing.

Business

According to USA Today, business was the most popular college major in 2014, and it has been that way for a while. If you’re someone who chose a different major, taking a business class could really broaden your horizons. Whether you try out accounting, marketing or business administration, these are classes that can be applied towards any major. Thinking about a topic from a business standpoint will really change your perspective.

Entrepreneurship

If you’ve ever dreamed of being your own boss one day, then this is the class for you. An entrepreneurship class will teach you the basics of starting your own business, as well as the mindset you’ll need to keep it running smoothly. Montclair State University just started an entrepreneurship minor, which is open to students in any major. Think of all the business ideas that you’ll come up with after taking an entrepreneurship class!

Leadership

Leadership classes will teach you essential skills if you ever want to be a leader one day (many of us already are some type of leader!) In a leadership class, you’ll learn how to be an effective leader or manager, as well as the differences between the two titles. It will also teach you what your employees will need in order to be the most productive. Everyone will benefit from taking a class on leadership, and it ties in with business and entrepreneurship classes too!  

Psychology

Psychology is such an interesting subject to learn about. This class might fulfill a general education requirement as well! You’ll learn about the human brain and how we think and function. A psychology class is definitely relevant to any major as well. You’re going to have to deal with a whole range od people once you enter the workforce, so this class will help you better understand their thought processes.

Besides learning for your own personal benefit, consider what your future employer might think while looking at your resume. If they see that you took the effort to get the most out of college that you possibly can, they’ll be a lot more impressed than if you only took the required classes. So get out there and get learning Red Hawks!

Source: 1 2

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.