#TakeAHike: 4 Hiking Hotspots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Fall has arrived on the campus of Montclair State and there’s no better way to enjoy the fall foliage than by going on a hike.

Our campus has the luxury of being just minutes away from some of the most gorgeous state parks and trails, so why not take advantage of it? With all the hustle and bustle of midterms and registration, it’s more than reasonable for anyone to be a little stressed out. What’s important, however, is that you remember to take some time to yourself. Hiking is a great way to clear the mind and isn’t just for the boys. So hang up your heels and grab some granola because the view will be worth every step.

Sure, you might be thinking “I don’t have the stamina for this” or “I don’t even know where to start” – trust me, I know exactly how you’re feeling. I’ve been there. I’m still there. But hiking isn’t as crazy as you might think as long as you go at your own pace. Don’t think about it as a physical trek up a mountain or down a slope, think about it the way you’d go about any obstacle you might come across in life. Whenever you encounter a slump or hardship, do you just let the thought consume you or do you find the strength to keep going? You keep going. And just like hikes, no matter how difficult it may seem and no matter how your path may change, the destination is always redeeming. Even if you aren’t where you thought you’d be, you can still look back and see how far you’ve come.

So, in my efforts to get you to see the benefits and beauty of spending a little more time outside, here are four different nature hikes (and strolls) for your enjoyment.

For the City Girl: Liberty State Park
  • Located on Upper New York Bay in Jersey City
  • Beautiful view of NYC and the Statue of Liberty, which are both right across the bay.
  • 5 miles of boardwalk. Perfect for that run, stroll, and even bike ride. There’s also a wide expanse of actual park where you can have picnics and chill out on the green.
  • Overall, it’s a very easy stroll and the best part is you get a little bit of the city and nature in one go.
For the Beginner Hiker: Ramapo Mountain State Forest
  • Accessible through Skyline Drive in Ringwood
  • A variety of trails for differing difficulties.
  • Can encounter: a gorgeous lake, castle ruins and views of NYC.
  • In my experience, the hike from Skyline Drive down towards and around Ramapo Lake is probably your best bet if you want an easy hike with a direct trail to the destination.
For the Moderate Hiker: High Mountain
  • Located in Wayne, NJ
  • Another great view of NYC.
  • Involves a steeper incline and a longer hike to the top of the mountain
  • Fun fact: the photo above was taken on a night hike that I had gone on. With the group I went with, it only took us about 45 minutes to get to the vista. There is only one bit of quick, steep incline, but once you get past that it’s smooth sailing. Plus, the view of the skyline at night was well worth it.
For the Adventurous: Stairway to Heaven Boardwalk
  • Located in Vernon, NJ
  • The boardwalk portion of the hike is about 2 miles with only mild inclines. It includes a variety of scenery through the grasslands of Vernon as well as a portion of suspension bridges. This boardwalk takes you right to the start of the Stairway to Heaven trail.
  • Hiking the Stairway to Heaven trail is only 2.5 miles to the top, but involves various slabs of rock that take you up a steep incline.
Allie Manalili is a freshman at Montclair State University. In the pursuit of spreading her love of all things art, Allie is majoring in Visual Arts with a concentration in School and Community settings. When she's not on campus, you can almost always find her arms full with a stack of books at the local bookstore, scouting out a new brunch place, or even adventuring to new heights on a hike. Along with being a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Montclair, she is also an Admissions Ambassador, and is excited to see where the next four years take her.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.