katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Style or Bust: Fashion on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Everyone knows that going to college can be extremely rough on your wallet, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up on being stylish. If you’re looking at a drab budget but want a fab wardrobe, these tips are for you!

Second Hand Doesn’t Mean Second Rate

Give clothing that isn’t brand new a chance! That means checking out your local consignment shop to not only catch deals on clothes that are there, but to sell some of the ones you don’t wear to get some extra cash in your pocket.!I frequent Plato’s Closet locally, and Buffalo Exchange if I’m in NYC. I once got a $400 dollar jacket, unworn, with the tag still on it, for $40. If that’s not a deal, I don’t know what is.

Don’t Forget To Check Online, Too!

Websites and apps like Poshmark, Depop, and Ebay offer the same experience of a consignment shop without the hassle of going anywhere. Check often as content is always changing, and don’t be afraid to sell your own merchandise to get more bang for your buck.

Out of Season Doesn’t Mean Out of Style

Checking the clearance rack is already a must, but keep in mind what time of year it is compared to what time of year is coming up. You know who can tell you picked up that cute sweater on clearance as opposed to regular price last winter? No one, so stock up!

Check Your Favorite Spots for Student Discounts

Even if they don’t have one currently, keep in mind that a lot of retailers offer student discounts during August and September for back to school.

Don’t Be Afraid to Mix and Match

Try shopping for simpler items with unique textures or patterns as opposed to statement pieces. A simple, striped tee with jeans and accessories is definitely stylish, and you’ll be just as stylish when you pair the shirt with a high-waisted skirt and different accessories later in the month. Same shirt, different outfit, all style.

Source: 1 2

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.