Style

A Recap of New York Fashion Week F/W ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of the year again. Editors, bloggers, publicists, and Instagram stars strut their best looks and showroom pulls down the streets of New York City in hopes of being photographed by the notorious Phil Oh. Fashion models start their final fittings, take a deep breath, and walk out onto the runway striking poses left and right. Future industry insiders are watching live streams from home and keeping up with Vogue’s final statements on each collection. Then we have the most important fashion week contributors, the fabulous designers. These artists are sitting backstage biting their nails and praying with one hand on the fashion bible that each new piece gallivanting down the catwalk is oohing and aahing their A-list crowd.

If you’re like me, you want to know exactly what the trends are for the upcoming Fall/Winter season are and you want to know them fast. I’m literally going to the mall this weekend to find items that resemble the looks that were presented this week. It’s always important to remain in fashion when you plan on working in fashion. To keep everyone updated, I have summarized some of the most noteworthy shows and trends of the F/W ’18 season.

Warning: Some of these designers are WAY overpriced but us college guys and gals are in luck, thanks to the trickle-down theory. Seriously expect to see various renditions of these looks for a fraction of the price in every mall, boutique, and Zara near you.

Trends

Asymmetry

This is one of my favorite trends of all times. Asymmetrical cuts can make an outfit go from boring to having that wow factor. There’s also something very sexy about them, they really accentuate parts of the body we didn’t even know could be flaunted!

Photo: Elle

Statement Pockets

Now, this is a trend that is totally fresh and innovative, something that is not often heard of or seen around.

Photo: Elle

Animal Print  

Animal print is back in the most interesting way! Adding colorful detail makes the gaudy notion of animal print disappear and turn it into a chic masterpiece.

Photo: Elle

Shows

Area Show

Lots of layers, lots of animal print, lots of trends. The Area show really had it all. Some trends that were spotted in the looks were fringe, slippers, stripes, artsy prints, floppy hats, fur cuffs, and metallics.

Photo: Vogue

Calvin Klein Show

Some of the looks from this show gave off some serious construction worker and androgynous vibes! Designers like Calvin Klein, who have been around for a while, really have to make sure they are staying relevant and innovative. I think he did just that with his most recent collection. There was lots of knitted caps and sweaters, utility jackets, plaid and colors that would otherwise never be worn together.

Photo: Vogue

Christian Siriano Show

Project Runway veteran Christian Siriano has left his mark in the fashion industry but this collection really drew me in. I saw this beautiful and sparkly black ball gown on his social media page and I fell in love. His show featured other cohesive pieces that resembled this one as well as two tone dresses, ruby reds, and iridescent coats.

Photo: Vogue

Tom Ford Show

Apparently, Tom Ford equals colorful animal print and power suits. Almost every single look featured one or the other or a combination of the two!

Photo: Vogue

Other trends to be on the lookout for are rubber (strange I know), the fanny pack, transparency, white suits, and so much more denim on denim. Unfortunately, the man of the hour, Kanye West has yet to present his show. Hopefully, he will showcase his next masterpiece of a fashion show when the purveyors of the industry hit Paris.

Cassidy Lunney is a fashion studies and journalism student at Montclair State! She is also the fashion + beauty editor for HerCampus Montclair. Aside from fashion, some of her favorite things are her dog, buffalo dip and comedy. Check out some of her content on Instagram: @cassidylunney
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.