Motivate Yourself to Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Danica McKellar, “Winnie” from The Wonder Years, once said, “You can be obsessed with makeup and hair products and, you know, your appearance and still be absolutely making smart life decisions and work on your smarts, develop your smarts by studying something like math. Then you’ll make much better decisions on the brands of clothing that you buy or whatever it is that you want.” 

With summer in it’s last days and while we pack away our cute, colorful clothing to take out those sweaters and boots, we have to remember that we are here at school to get an education! It’s still okay to look cute and go out with girl friends, but school comes first.

A new year means a new beginning. This is your chance to start fresh and earn that 4.0 GPA you’ve always wanted! Prioritize all of your classes. All of your classes are important, but your major electives are more important than the yoga class you decided to take to fill up your physical education credit.

Reward yourself. If you know you have a huge exam, study hard for it and buy yourself that cute top you wanted to wear out with your friends or splurge on an ice cream sundae. This way, you will keep yourself motivated to keep studying.

Make a checklist every week of what is due for all your classes so you won’t be scrambling the night before or hour before class doing your assignments. The weekend is a good time to catch up on schoolwork. Most students go home on the weekends so if you are still here on campus take a walk to the library and study a bit. A quiet area is a good place to study.

A lot of college students say they are stressed. Stress can be avoided. Try and fit in gym time every day even if it is for thirty minutes. Exercise is a good stress reliever. It has also been said that an active body has been linked to an active mind. Keeping your mind active in college is very important. With internships, classes, social life and work on your mind, your brain will need all the exercise it can get.

Going out on the weekends can still be managed with a full load of classes. If you keep up with your checklist by Friday night, you should have gotten all your work done and if you’ve exercised all week, not only is your mind active but your body will be looking great in the new skinny jeans you’ve rewarded yourself with! 

Photo Sources:
http://weheartit.com/entry/12872761#