It’s Okay If You’re Not Graduating “On Time”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

College is a process, and there is no set time limit that you have to meet just because others do. Not everyone graduates on time, but that is okay. I repeat – it is okay not to graduate on time

I’m one of those people not graduating on time and I’m more than fine with it! Ever since I can remember it was programmed into my head that after I graduated high school, I immediately had to graduate from an accredited university in four years time. Anyone who strayed from this rule was judged harshly. I was ashamed when it became prevalent that I was going to need another year.  After a while, I began to embrace it, because guess what? I get another year in my favorite place!

Everyone has their reasons for not graduating when they are “supposed” to, and quite honestly, no one owes anyone an explanation. Some people have family problems, medical issues, money issues, changing of majors, or in my case, transfer credit issues and changing majors. I went to a university for a whole year and hated every second of it. In the end of it all, none of my credits transferred. 

After I transferred to MSU, I tried to catch up, but I started to resent it. I took so many courses, during all semesters (spring, fall, winter, summer), and I felt I wasn’t getting the experience I deserved. I felt that my prior university stole an entire year from me. 

THEN, I did something crazy. I changed one of my majors. All those courses I took to make up for those credits basically counted as electives now. I now have all new courses to take, besides my general education requirements I got out of the way. So it was up to me to make a choice. I could bust my a** for the next two years, taking winter and summer classes and at least 18 credits each semester and do no other activities or have much fun, or I could take another year, probably have a better GPA and a more relaxed schedule.

After many hours of thinking it over and talking about it with friends, family, and professors, I decided that it would be in my best interest to “graduate a year late”. Even then, I did not tell most people until months later. I decided to rip the band-aid off and tell everyone on social media. 

“Most of those who know me know that my Freshmen year of college was unsuccessful and a part of my past I rarely speak about. What most people don’t know though, is that when I transferred to MSU I received zero credits from said university, labeling me a freshman once again. I had AP credits from high school but that was all. For the last year and a half, I have been trying hard to catch up to graduate on time, but I changed career paths and added a second major earlier this year. I am pursuing my JD/PhD dual certification. College is a process and there are no set deadlines that you have to meet just because others do. With all of this, I am excited to announce that I will be graduating MSU in Spring 2019! I am beyond thrilled to be staying at MSU an extra year as it has become my second home…so MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY CLASS OF 2019! ❤ “

College is a process and there are no set deadlines that you have to meet just because others do. 

Graduation dates are not set in stone. Do what you need to do for yourself. It’s about the journey, not the destination. And with that, MSU CLASS OF 2019! (maybe)

Photo Sources: 1, 2

i write about things i'm passionate about
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.