Internship Insider: Home Fashions (Ellery Homestyles)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Internships have become a crucial part of the college experience, especially here at Montclair State. For most majors, internships are required to graduate with a bachelor’s degree and sometimes you end up learning a lot more than you would in a classroom setting. In my opinion, there is no better experience than one that is hands on. I am a fashion studies major and it is imperative that I get as much internship time as possible but there is a ton of competition. The good news? There are so many fields that a fashion major could delve into. Positions to look out for would be anything involving fashion, beauty, fragrance, public relations, design, marketing and volunteer work for fashion week or any other event. 

This summer I had the absolute pleasure of interning at Ellery Homestyles LLC for the product development and design teams. Ellery Homestyles is a New York City based supplier of both branded and private labels who sell their products to almost every major category killer and home fashions store in the United States. This includes but is not limited to Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart, and Home Goods. My role as a paid intern granted me with the ability to see everything from start to finish.

On the product development team, I got to witness how everything worked by ordering samples of curtains and bedding, comparing the samples to what the designers needed the finished product to be and the whole packaging process. A lot of the time I worked with fabric swatches and input information into our computer systems. The design team had another set of tasks that I was faced with which allowed for my more creative side to come out. I organized prints and patterns, set up mood boards and assisted with trend research. My favorite part was when me and my supervisor got to attend the Home Textiles Sourcing Expo and trend spot for the 2018 season. 

Every day I was faced with something new and had a lot of fun. It definitely was not just a boring and repetitive desk job, I truly loved what I was doing and it actually peaked my interest in interior design. It always felt like I was a part of something and never just the intern. There is a lot of room for growth within the company and I would love to go back.

There are a few key components I learned about the whole landing an internship and living your best life thing that I wanted to share with you guys!

1. Make use of your major’s department to search for internships

I know how frustrating it can be to search for internships at some of your favorite places but there is no contact information to be found. Reach out to people in your field of study who may know of a few opportunities and make use of the email blasts that get sent out about job opportunities (that’s how I found mine!)

2. Take what you can get

Like I said before, internships are super important and sometimes you may have a tough time finding one that perfectly matches up to your major. Apply to internships that are both interesting and doable for you that will give you transferable skills. Even if you are a fashion major, you can be a merchandising intern for a toy store or any other company that needs one. This goes for all majors really, you just have to get creative.

3. Be Prepared

Take notes, ask questions. It’s as simple as that!

Never be afraid or feel like you’re annoying people because you may not fully understand something.  You will get things done more efficiently once you find out what you need to know and feel at ease.

4. Messing up is okay

Sometimes internships can be fast paced and stressful. People mess up, life goes on! Don’t beat yourself up over little things that are often out of your control and can be seen more of as a learning experience. 

5. Be Bold

Speak up in meetings and make your presence known. You were hired for a reason and now it’s your time to shine! 

6. Know your place

While it’s great to make friends at the office, remember that internships are still places of work regardless of payment or lack thereof. Hold back on some of the things that should be kept between you and the frat party you attended last weekend.

7. Have fun

Take your internship experience and run with it because you can go so far with a lot of hard work and a great team at your guidance. Make the most out of your time with the company so that when your internship has ended you feel a touch of sadness but eagerness to find more opportunities in your field.

Sources: 1, 2

Cassidy Lunney is a fashion studies and journalism student at Montclair State! She is also the fashion + beauty editor for HerCampus Montclair. Aside from fashion, some of her favorite things are her dog, buffalo dip and comedy. Check out some of her content on Instagram: @cassidylunney
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.