This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you yearn to reinvent yourself:

Just Believe

To be iconic, you must believe that you are. Like the Law of Attraction states, “it is in the belief that the universe creates and provides for you based on what your thoughts are focused on.” If you continue to believe that you are that person, in time it will manifest.

Be Exclusive

Refrain from trying to be everywhere all the time.

Icons don’t go everywhere but when they do their presence is a “sighting”. As a case in point, Beyonce’s presence is always anticipated during an award show yet she doesn’t always show up to many, only a select few. This strategy will help to keep you a mystery. There is this saying “If you peak too fast you’ll go stale quickly,” in others words if your presence is everywhere all the time you’ll soon become old news.

Don’t Copy, Steal With Taste

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light, and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent.” – Jim Jarmusch 

Find A Signature Look

Every icon you could possibly name has a signature something. 

Aaliyah has the side part, Marilyn Monroe has the platinum blonde hair with red bold lips, SZA has her huge afro-textured hair and Justine Skye with her signature purple hair. To find your signature statement find something that you commonly get complimented on or something you admire best about yourself and emphasize it more.

Surround Yourself With Like-Minded People

Put yourself on the same frequency as the people you would want to hang with or become. 

This will help provoke an iconic future simply because you guys will help one another become your ultimate selves. After all, you are the company you keep. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2

Elisabeth Gasson, or as many may refer to her as 'The Liz G', is currently a student at Montclair State University majoring in Public Relations. She is greatly known for being a sensational lifestyle blogger with her unique, nostalgic aesthetics tied her brand. Apart from that, she also carries a burning passion for being someone of astronomical influence in the Entertainment Industry as she had always dreamed of ever since her adolescent years. Hence, being a woman of many trades is what this millennial #GirlBoss aspires to become.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.