This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

College is stressful. Life is stressful. Yet, what those two things can also be are: fun, exciting, stimulating, inspiring, eventful, blissful, and any other positive adjectives you can think of. SO, how do we gear towards the positive and refrain from the negative during these crazy college days? Well to collect some answers and some zen, I turned to the wise teachings of my yogi aunt, Jillian Pransky, to put together five stress-reducing tips for all my fellow colligates out there. Here are her five recommendations for keeping your mind clear and calm:

1. BREATHE.

Our lives become less balanced as we get busier and sometimes we seem to feel too busy to find time to pause and take a breath. Yet, even a quick, small pause can really help us a lot. Take three deep conscious breaths whenever you feel that imbalance. 

“You can do this several times a day, anywhere you are: Simply pause. Feel your feet on the ground and let your mind trace the path of your inhale and exhale, in and out of your body, for three complete breaths. Follow the path of your breath with your awareness as it comes from outside you, in through your nose, and down into your lungs. Then trace the path of your breath back up and out into the space around you. As your mind follows your breath, feel how the movement of your breath causes your body to expand throughout all four sides of your torso. For example, do this when you’re at your desk between meetings, when you’re waiting for class to start, when you’re stopped at a traffic light, when you’re waiting for someone to pick up your call, or while you are actually in a conversation with someone or when you’re waiting in line to order coffee. Really, any time!”

2. Create a mantra and repeat it.

Try repeating a simple mantra or an uplifting word (such as “peace”) during your morning commute to class. It will help make that morning traffic or walk less hectic and it will help you feel more open and compassionate once you get to class. It may also come in handy when dealing with being late, stress before a big exam, etc. 

“This is also a nice way to freshen up your mind at the start of the day, or clear it out at the end of the day.”

3. Try not to rush, especially when you eat.

We all have a tendency to rush but something you should really try to refrain from is rushing when eating. Besides its health benefits, chewing slower actually helps you create a more open mind. 

“Before you take a bite, observe your feast (whether it be a single apple or a full course meal), consider its origins, notice the colors and smell the aroma. Finally take only one bite at a time let it linger in your mouth as you fully experience the taste and texture of each bite. Enjoy two or three complete breaths between each bite. You will take deeper pleasure in your meals through savoring each moment of your eating. You will also digest better.  What is interesting is the slower and more mindfully we eat, the less food we find we need to be satisfied.”

4. Dedicate some time to just yourself and practice gratitude.

Have a little walk in the park or around campus and find a comfortably private spot to sit down in. 

“Relax, and look around. As you walk, enjoy the smell of the air, notice your environment. Think about what makes you feel grateful. Notice the temporary reality of what you are enjoying. Mentally extend your gratitude towards your point of interest, as you see it and feel it. For being here now.”

5. Get rid of the clutter. 

This is one of the best tips if you’re seeking some change. 

“Eliminate clutter in your home, in your dorm, in your apartment. Instead of creating a super long list of fall jobs around your environment, pick only one cleanup project you have been thinking of doing. Usually we have such a long list of things to do around us, we either barely get to any of them done, or rush through all of them. Instead, truly enjoy completing just one. Feel the accomplishment and notice the change. Enjoy this new space in your environment and in your mind for new energy and inspiration to flow in. In general, try to stick to a regular routine. Get more sleep, use less stimulants, do daily yoga. I know it sounds like a lot of things to concentrate on, but these simple techniques can help to keep you feeling grounded, steady, and healthy all school year. And remember, even small changes, just a little bit, every day will equal big changes.”

So there you have it, my friends. Some refreshing tips from a true yoga guru. I hope you practice some of these and focus on eliminating some of that unwanted stress. Even a little less hectic-ness can help you in the long run. Always remember that there are people who understand, people who feel the same weight as you do. Be considerate of that and perhaps if these tips help you, pass them on and help keep another person calm. 

About Jillian Pransky

Jillian Pransky is restorative therapeutic yoga teacher/trainer. She infuses her yoga classes with mindfulness practices, compassion, and ease. Her seamless style of working simultaneously with the body, mind, and spirit, while attuning with nature and the environment, creates inspiring classes and an integrative healing experience. Her technique focuses on harmonizing the inner and outer worlds, leaving students feeling grounded, relaxed, and open. She has been featured in many publications such as, Yoga Journal, Self Magazine, Family Circle, Yoga Dork, Kripalu Bulletin Magazine, Yoga Journal Mentor, Prevention Magazine and has appeared on CNN. 

Interested in checking out more of Jillian Pransky’s practices, wise words, and guided yoga? Subscribe to her newsletter “Yogalicious”, unwind those deep layers of stress and tensions with her guided relaxation CD “RELAXMORE” or take a look at her DVD “Calm Body Clear Mind” on her website, www.jillianpransky.com. Her TEDxTalk is also available online at http://tedxnavesink.com/project/jillian-pransky/, where she discusses how to expand love in your life.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.