Her Campus Montclair’s Guide to Protecting Your Skin for the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.
When it comes to staying safe from the sun’s ray, knowledge is power. As much as we want to stay out in the sun, tan and acquire that perfect glow, it is important to understand the ways to do so in order to protect the skin from wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. Skin care doesn’t need to be complicated or time-consuming. In fact, it can quickly become second nature just like brushing your teeth. Good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices can help delay the natural aging process and prevent various skin problems. We have put together a list of simple skin care tips which can keep your skin healthy and glowing for years to come.

1. Protect Your Skin
Protecting your skin from the sun is one of the most important ways to take care of your skin. A lifetime of sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age spots as well as increase the risk for skin cancer. For the most complete sun protection:

• Limit Sun Exposure

• Use Sunscreen

• Cover Up

Limit your time in the sun, especially during the middle of the day (between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.) when the sun is at its strongest. Choose a broad spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with a SPF of at least 15 (some dermatologists recommend 30 or higher) and reapply it every two hours. Stay indoors during 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and cover up. Keep in mind that the sun’s rays can penetrate light-colored and thin fabrics, so opt for darker, woven fabrics specifically make for sun protection.

2. Don’t Smoke
Smoking makes your skin look older and wrinkly. It narrows the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin, which decreases blood flow. This blocks the skin from receiving oxygen and nutrients which are vital for the skin’s health. Smoking also damages collagen and elastin, which are the fibers that give the skin its strength and elasticity.

3. Stay Hydrated
Keeping the skin moisturized is essential to skin protection. Hydrated skin prevents chapped skin or flaky skin. It is important to:

• Drink lots of water

• Avoid products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which is an ingredient that removes natural oils needed by your skin.

4. Treat Your Skin Gently
Daily cleansing and shaving can take a toll on your skin. To keep it gentle:

• Limit Bath Time

• Avoid Strong Soaps

• Shave Carefully

• Pat Dry

• Moisturize Dry Skin

Hot water and long showers remove oils from the skin. Limit bath/shower time and use warm rather than hot water. Strong soaps can also strip oils from the skin. In order to prevent this, use mild cleansers.To protect and lubricate skin, apply shaving cream, lotion or gel before shaving. For the closest shave, use a clean sharp razor and shave in the direction the skin grows, not against it. After taking a shower, gently pat your skin with a towel so that some moisture remains on your skin. If your skin is dry, use a moisturizer that fits your skin type. It is recommended to use a moisturizer that contains SPF.

5. Remove Excessive Make-Up
Even though make-up is an integral part of every woman’s beauty routine, excessive make up can be subjected to ultimately aging, wrinkles, dark circles, blemishes and pimples.

6. Eat a Healthy Diet
A healthy diet can help you feel and look your best. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. A diet that is rich in vitamin C and low in unhealthy fats or processed carbohydrates can promote younger looking skin.

7. Manage Stress
Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger acne breakouts and other skin problems. To encourage healthy skin, set reasonable limits, scale back your to-do list and make time to do things you enjoy. 

8. Avoid Tanning Beds
No matter what you may hear at the tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, age spots), as well as skin cancer. Indoor ultraviolet tanners are 74% more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.

9. Don’t Let the Weather Fool You
Protect your skin on cool, cloudy days. Since damaging rays aren’t inhibited by clouds, ultraviolet light can still penetrate the cloud and burn your skin. Therefore, take precautions even when the sun isn’t shining bright. Use sunscreen with a SPF of at least 15.

10. Know Your Skin
Pay attention to odd freckles, moles, and growths on your skin, and consult your doctor if you notice any changes. Some examples can include: a change in mole size can indicate potential skin cancer, and skin conditions such as acne, inflamed dry skin, skin rashes that don’t go away can be signs of dermatitis or skin inflammation.

Photo Credit: 1