This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s almost time to break back into those summer clothes! After months of long sleeves, sweaters, and boots – it may be hard to go back to crop tops, sundresses, and sandals, especially if the weather is not quite there yet. Here’s some input based on how I prepare to transition back into summer fashion.

Don’t get rid of pieces that don’t fit perfectly.

When you’re going through your closet, it may be tempting to ditch that crop top that once fit like a glove but is now too tight. Or maybe you feel like it’s time to toss that maxi dress that is now at an awkward length, but don’t give into the frustration! Summer clothes are usually lighter and smaller than those from any other season, so they will be great to transform. If that cute crop top with the fun pattern no longer fits right, cut it up and sew the patches of fabric into a plain shirt, jeans, or pillowcase for some fun details! Or, if your maxi dress is no longer the right length, make it a sundress or even a scarf. When it comes to summer clothing, the possibilities are endless, so dig through your closet now and get creative!

Experiment with layers.

At that weird point in the year when the weather never seems to make up its mind, it can be hard to determine whether its time for long sleeves, short sleeves, jeans, or dresses. I used to get annoyed about this, but now I just have fun with it. Why not wear a sundress with a cardigan and scarf? Or high boots with black jeans and a cropped tank? This is really the only time of the year when you can get away with mixing such different textures and materials, so take advantage of it.

Plan out your accessories budget ASAP.

Summertime has the most accessory options: bracelets that you could never wear with long sleeves, floppy hats, anklets, body jewelry, headpieces… and those are only a few. All the trendiest stores and boutiques know this. Soon enough they will be breaking out the cutest new accessories in their arsenal. It is very easy to get lost in the possibilities and spend way too much on the different options that you may not wear more than once. That’s why it’s a good idea to go through your wardrobe ahead of time and figure out exactly how many of each type of accessories you want to buy and how much you can realistically afford to spend on them.

Never stress over your body.

Everyone knows that summer is the time that everyone wears the most revealing outfits to flaunt their figures. If you want to lose a few pounds to fit into a tiny bikini or plan to hit the gym before shopping, that is a good idea, but do not feel bad about yourself no matter what. Bodies change over a year and you should never beat yourself up if you feel like you can no longer “pull off” a look. Remember that confidence and a happy state of mind are essential for starting off the summer on a good note!

Photo Sources: 12

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.