Giving the Best Gifts on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This time of year is always rough for college students. Trying to get into the Christmas spirit and shower your friends and family with gifts galore just doesn’t happen when you’re broke. The struggle certainly is real around the holiday time, but there is always a way to give the best gifts when you are on a strict budget!

The great thing about being a college student is that people don’t expect a lot from you around Christmas time. Your friends and family know that you are beyond broke, but you still want to show up with something to give on Christmas day. Obviously, it’s the thought that counts but there are always a few options for those on a budget. 

Over my past four years as a college student, I’ve found that the best gift to give parents during the holiday season is getting chores done around the house. Parents love nothing more than having things get done around the house without them even having to ask. If you want to get a little fancy, try making your parents a nice Christmas dinner. It’s easy and your parents will cherish it. If you want to get creative, make a “coupon” book that they can redeem in exchange for extra services. A car wash, an organized closet, a spotless kitchen – how could they not love it.

In general, giving anything homemade is a great gift and an affordable option when you want to save some money. Get crafty and put your creative abilities by making a few homemade gifts that are a lot more meaningful than buying a gift in a store. Homemade gifts show that you spent time and effort, which means a lot to anyone. So whether you choose to bake some cookies, create ornaments, or fill mason jars with some candy all of these ideas make great gifts for the holiday season. Keyword: Pinterest. 

The holiday season is not about giving the most extravagant gifts, it’s about making your friends and family happy. So if you find yourself on a strict budget this year, do not worry because the best gifts are the ones that come from the heart!   

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Hello everyone! My name is BreYana Williams and I currently attend Montclair State University pursuing a to receive a degree in fashion studies with a minor in journalism. I have always had a love for fashion and pop culture ever since I was little and being able to write for HerCampus is literally a dream come true. I have always had a knack for expressing myself through my clothes and writing down my feelings and now I am able to share my own personal input on fashion related topics. I am really excited to share myself with each one of you.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.