Get to Know: Yabbi!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Yabbi 

Major: Public Relations

Hometown: Rahway, NJ

HC: How would you describe your style?

YI: I don’t like to marginalize myself, but I would describe it as simple and chic, with a little bit of edge. I’m not afraid to try different looks. I’m a tad bit vintage, and that was inspired by my sister. She would always take me thrifting.

HC: What is your go-to style for this spring season?

YI: I am in love with the color mustard! Lately, I’ve been grabbing anything that’s in that color. T-shirts, crop tops, cardigans, and more!

HC: What is your go-to spring beauty trend?

YI: I am loving gold eye shadow in the corner of my eye! It instantly brightens up my face, it’s such a complimentary look for the spring.

HC: Are you a homebody or social butterfly?

YI: I’ve grown to be a social butterfly.

HC: What is an ideal weekend for you?

YI: Any free time I have goes toward mini getaways. I love spontaneity, a quick trip to California or Florida always does me well.

HC: Do you have any hobbies?

YI: Yes, I have a blog! It is called yabbiyab.wordpress.com

HC: Wow! Awesome! How long have you been blogging?

YI: I’ve been blogging for two years, but I just recently became consistent with it. It’s given me great exposure. Companies reach out to me and ask me to promote their products just because of my social media presence. Oh, BTW follow me on Instagram! @yabbiyab

HC: What are your other interests?

YI: Definitely traveling, art, and poetry. I’m boring, but those things are fun to me.

HC: Does blogging have any link to your ultimate career goal?

YI: Absolutely! I’m a Public Relations major, so it encourages creative writing. In my major we have to do a lot of that. I intern for a PR company in the city (New York), and a lot of my work has to do with blogging.

HC: So what is your ultimate career goal?

YI: Definitely being in the field of media and entertainment. Ultimately, it’s being a publicist for upcoming or current talent.

HC: What are you looking forward to now?

YI: It may seem a bit premature, but definitely graduating, and getting a huge PR gig following that. If it all goes well with my internship, I would love to continue working for them. They’ve already asked me to continue working for them this summer!

HC: That’s great! How about a  fun fact about you?

YI: I am Nigerian! I take great pride in that. I visit there often, mostly over the summer and on school breaks.

HC: Before you go, something you would say to your middle school self?

YI: If your dreams don’t scare you they aren’t big enough!

South Jersey native whose passion for writing lured her 14 miles from New York. Lataya is a student at Montclair State with a major in Journalism.