Freshman Dance Major and Theta Phi Alpha Member: Amanda Kowalski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Amanda Kowalski

Age: 19

Grade: Freshman

Major: Dance

Hometown: Plainsboro

Hobbies: Dancing, Knitting, Farming  

Why did you choose Montclair State University?

I chose Montclair State University because of its proximity to New York City and the size of the campus. Montclair State is not a very large campus nor a very small campus but the right size where you can get around but also feel like you are separated enough from everyone where you still don’t know everyone.

What is your favorite thing about the dance program?

My favorite part of the dance program here at Montclair State is that we get choreographers from the city to come and set choreography on us. Not only that, we are given so many opportunities to perform for our family and friends and show them what we can do.  The faculty here at Montclair State is so warm and welcoming and they really try to help everyone in any way they can.

When did you first start dancing?

I first started dancing when I was 3 years old but I didn’t get serious about it until I was 15 years old.

What is your dream career?

My dream career is to perform with a professional ballet contemporary company in New York City.

Who inspires you?

The one person that really inspires me is my Mom because no matter what is going on in her life she always tries to have a fun time and always succeeds in doing so. Also, she always stands up for things she thinks that are unfair, which is something I really admire about her.

What organizations are you involved with on campus?

I am involved in Montclair State’s newest sorority on campus, Theta Phi Alpha.

What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to hang out with my friends, watch movies and catch up on the episodes of whatever TV show I am currently watching.

Favorites

Show: Grey’s Anatomy

Movie: The Sound of Music

Artist: Tim McGraw

Song: “To The Moon and Back”- Luke Bryan

Food: Anything with chocolate

Beverage: Iced Tea

Book: “The Selection” by Kiera Kass

Season: Summer

*All photos courtesy of Amanda Kowalksi*

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.