Entertainment Expert and Librarian: Joey Burgos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Joey Burgos

Year: Junior

Age: 21

Major: English

Commuter or Resident: Commuter

Hometown: Secaucus, NJ

What brought you to Montclair State for college?

It was actually my first choice for a university. My mom and I were searching for colleges to attend my junior year of high school and MSU was the first campus we visited. I immediately wanted to come here, and I got in!

What influenced you to become an English major?

I’ve always been a really big reader and lover of pop culture, so I figured that I would go with English. I know many companies look for the skills that English majors have. [Having applicable skills] was my main concern, considering I didn’t really know what I wanted to do when I graduate.

People automatically think “English major? Oh, you want to be a teacher,” but I honestly don’t. I want to do something in the publishing or entertainment industry. That’s the dream.

What has been your favorite course at MSU so far?

I would probably have to say Young Adult Literature. YAL is actually my favorite genre of books. This course was cool because we could hear everyone’s different interpretations of the novels we read. It was a very laidback class; it was more of a graded book club. Everyone was respectful of each other and we could talk together without any judgment.

Do you have a favorite novel or author?

To be completely honest with you, I don’t really have a favorite author. I basically just read book synopses and determine if I’d like it or not.

I do have favorite books though. I really love the Dorothy Must Die series by Danielle Paige, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Roseblood by A.G. Howard, The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, and The Appearance of Annie Van Sinderen by Katherine Howe.

I also love classics like To Kill a Mockingbird, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and The Great Gatsby. I tend to be drawn to darker stories and literature because they keep my attention.

Besides reading, what do you like to do in your free time?

I mostly watch Netflix or play XBOX. When it comes to games though, I love the Batman: Arkham series, Halo, Dishonored, Bioshock series and Alien: Isolation. I prefer story-based games.

I’m big into TV shows and movies, so when I’m with my friends, we’ll just watch TV or go to the movies. I try to go to the movies at least 3 times a month.

I also draw when I’m not gaming or watching something. I mainly draw freehand or color those complicated adult coloring books.

What is something no one knows about you?

I think everybody knows everything about me! (Haha) Seriously though, I’m very open.

What/who inspires you?

Perseverance and happiness inspire me.

I’m inspired to make a difference in the world and my own life when nothing holds anyone back.

As for people who inspire me, I would have to say my family, my mom and brother specifically. They’re amazing people who have never stopped [working] to get to where they are today. They have always told me to go for my dreams and to do whatever makes me happy.

I’ve learned not to let anyone tell me I can’t do something or walk all over me. My family’s kindness and happiness has definitely made me the person I am today. I don’t like sadness, destruction and violence, so I try to make people laugh and smile, even if it’s just for a second. I absolutely get that from my family.

What is your current job, and what are your career goals for the future?

I actually work at the library for my town and I have been doing so for about 4 or 5 years now. I love it because it’s a very relaxed atmosphere and the people I work with have each other’s backs. I also like talking to our patrons and interacting with people.

My future goal is to work in the entertainment industry like for Viacom or NBC. I would love to do something with their social media or writing and editing for shows. That’s what I really want to do.

Do you have a favorite quote or words you live by?

Okay, this may sound weird, but my favorite line is from The Dark Knight when the Joker says, “Why so serious?” I like it because I always try to make people happy when they’re sad or mad.

However, on a sincere note, one of my favorite quotes comes from Thomas Jefferson, in which he says, “I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” This quote really resonates with me because I feel like, in order to achieve your real goals in life, you have to work hard for them. If something is important to you, then giving up is not the answer.

What advice do you have for our newest Red Hawks as you approach your senior year?

Be yourself. Truthfully and wholeheartedly yourself.

High school is something of the past. When you get to such a diverse university as this one, you will have friends and find yourself. People are much more accepting in college.

No one judges you and no one cares about where you come from or how you live your life.

On an academic level, you’re on your own (for the most part), and shouldn’t wait until last minute to do your assignments. When I first started college, I thought I had plenty of time to do assignments, only to realize I had 5 things all due in the next 2 days. Yes, have fun and be crazy, but at the same time, know when to complete your work.

Ready for the “Favorites” speed round? Say the first answer that comes to mind.

Favorite song: “Coming Home” by Falling in Reverse

Movie: Edward Scissorhands

Band: Bring Me the Horizon

Music Genre: Pop/Rock

Food: Nachos

Beverage: Angry Orchard

Color: Orange

Celebrity Crush: Selena Gomez

Animal: Snow Leopard

Car: Lamborghini

Dream Vacation: London

TV Show: American Horror Story

Senior English major obsessed with the culinary industry. I come from a large Italian-Polish family, and spend my time thinking about food. I collect books, enjoy learning American Sign Language, and binge-watching The Walking Dead.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.