English Major, Pop-Culture Junkie and HCM’s Own: Rachel Collucci

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Rachel Collucci

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: English

Hometown: Westfield, NJ

Spirit Animal: I would like to think a fox or a wolf, but I’m probably either a sloth or a dog if I think about it.

Comfort Food: Anything with cheese, since coming to MSU it’s been the Disco Curly Fries from Six Brothers Diner

What’s your favorite thing about MSU? 

It would have to be Greek life as a whole, but more specifically, my sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. I don’t think I would be as happy as I am at MSU if I hadn’t gone out for recruitment.

From freshman year to now, what’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned? 

That everything happens for a reason. Having just transferred to MSU last year, I’ve had to learn that not everything is going to fit into your “perfect plan.” Particularly this current semester – I’ve found myself confronting things that are just out of my control and while they have been challenging, I really do believe that everything is meant to happen, regardless of how good or bad. It shapes you into who you are.

What was your favorite class at MSU and why? 

Young Adult Literature! I took it last spring with Dr. Jim Nicosia and even though it was a 10 AM, I was always so excited to go. YA is probably my favorite book genre and the discussions I would have in the class were so engaging. I get so happy when I hear that other people are taking it, the books we read in that class are honestly life-changing.

What’s your dream summer? 

A summer filled with concerts and music festivals or a summer away in California.

Where do you see yourself post-grad? 

Hopefully I’ll be going to grad school and then after I’ll be working in the publishing industry. I also would love to write for a lifestyle or entertainment magazine (I’m way too into pop culture). I really just see myself in NYC trying to live like Carrie Bradshaw, but we’ll see what happens.

Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.