Earth Day: How You Can Make A Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

April’s showers are on their way out, the sun is kissing our skin and spring is in the air once again. While we are feeling totally #blessed for this beautiful weather, it is also important to remember that this also means that Earth Day is right around the corner. What’s more appropriate than to show how appreciative we are of these gorgeous sunny days than to give back to the Earth? Here are some ideas to celebrate and help out mother nature this Earth Day.

Recycle Time to go through all of those empty wine bottles and Pizza boxes, split them up and get recycling. If you are really determined, many centers even give some cash in exchange for cans and bottles.

Ditch the Car

Ride your bike, walk, jog, catch a bus or carpool whenever you can. You can even use Uber Pool’s new feature to get lower costs. The less CO2 and pollutants in the air, the clearer and sunnier days ahead for us!

Save Water

Quit letting the water run. Turn off the sink when you are brushing your teeth, washing your hands or face. Shorten your showers and let the rain take care of your lawn. Think you are saving money by washing your own car? A car wash typically uses half the water it would take to wash it on your own.

Change Your Bulbs

How many people does it take to change a lightbulb? One. You! Using compact fluorescent light bulbs use 75 percent less energy, and can save you thirty plus dollars in energy costs.

Put Down the Burger

Almost 2,500 gallons of water go into producing a pound of beef. Going meatless every once in awhile won’t only help you, but think of the innocent animals as well.

Become Conscious

In a country where everything is so easily at our disposal, it often becomes difficult thinking just how much it takes to dispose of everything. Instead of grabbing that handful of napkins, take one at a time. Get a refillable water bottle instead of dishing out money for ones you throw away. Run your dishwasher when it is completely full. Wash your hair only when it is necessary. Re-use scrap paper, pay your bills online, plant a tree. Every little bit helps.

Remember, Earth Day can be every day, if we just try a little bit.

I am currently a junior here at Montclair State University. I am anticipating a B.A in Theater Studies, along with currently completing my certification in Entreprenruship. I am lucky enough to have just recently join HC and cannot be any more excited about it!