Campus Cutie: Ashley Dauphin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Ashley Dauphin

Major: Psychology

Year: Junior

Favorite Color: Purple

Birthday: December 14th

Her Campus has gotten a chance to chat with the fun, vibrant, and outgoing Ashley Dauphin. While she is a full time student at MSU, she is also highly involved on campus as an SA with Residence Life and as President of the Haitian Student Association. We sat down with Ms.Dauphin to get to know her a bit better by asking her a few random questions about life, crushes, music and much more.   

HCM: What are your plans for the future say like five years from now?

AD: I would like to get an internship maybe in the psychology field even or something in criminal justice because that is my minor. I would also like to travel, maybe study abroad in  Europe and then graduate within four years. Then get either my masters or go straight to a doctoral program that’s what I’m trying to choose between, but basically my masters in forensic psychology or even counseling. Also, hopefully I have a successful time with HSA. I still want to be involved even after I graduate.

HCM: Since your name is fairly common, if you had to change your first name what would you change it to?

AD: I can’t see myself with another name, no oh my gosh. I honestly don’t know. That’s a really good question. Because like there’s so much meaning behind my name.  I think it means ashtray or ash metal tray. And my cousin when she was six years old was basically the one who picked my name. Her best friend’s name was Ashley when she was in kindergarten or the first grade. My mom heard the name and liked how Ashley sounded. I have not heard of my family think of any other name.

HCM: You are involved with a lot on campus. What organizations are you a part of and what do you do, What’s your title?

AD: I am the president of the Haitian Student Association. It’s my first year becoming president. Also, I just became a member of E3. That’s an organization that wants to educate, equip, and empower. That’s what E3 stands for. Basically, they want to bring all of the student leaders within the minority organizations together to uplift them and educate them with certain things. I am also a Service Assistant in Dinallo Heights. I’ve been a SA for two years and I always like seeing residents faces coming in and out of Dinallo.

HCM: So what was the last time you had an amazing meal and what was it?

AD: So I was really hungry after getting my hair done and I was starving all day. So I went to a Jamaican restaurant, in my town. called Islander. I ordered oxtail, rice peas, which is rice and beans, cabbage, plantain and a Jamaican patty with cocoa bread. Then they put the Jamaican patty inside the cocoa bread. I usually get Jamaican food sometimes but it was soo good for some reason. That was the last meal that I had and that was like oh my Gosh! I ended up texting my Jamaican friend about it, I was like ‘this is so good right now.’

HCM: What was the best or the worst gift you have ever received?

AD: The best gift I ever received was on my sixteenth birthday. My mom felt bad that she couldn’t give me a sweet sixteen so she gave me a ring and earrings and necklace of my birthstone. I don’t always wear them. I only wear them on special occasions and also during my birthday month, in December. the stone is blue. Blue’s not my favorite color, but I don’t mind it. That was the best gift that I’ve ever gotten. I can’t think of the worst gift.

HCM: What celebrity do you most relate to…if any?

AD: I don’t really relate to any celebrity. I like celebrities, but it doesn’t mean I can relate to them.

HCM: Ok then, who is your favorite celebrity?

AD: Chris Brown is my favorite celebrity and people will criticize me because you know he was an abusive guy, he abused his girlfriend. I honestly love his voice and his music. So that’s who my favorite artist is, but I cannot relate to him.

HCM: What’s your favorite song of the moment?

AD: Well right now in the moment, it’s this song called Good Morning by Brymo. It’s an African song, I think it’s Nigerian song. I don’t know, when I hear it it puts me at peace. It’s a love song, but it’s just so sweet . The beat it’s like really mellow and all my friends know I love it. Like my heart just gets warm. And then another song, New Flame, by Chris Brown featuring Usher cause I love Chris Brown. I automatically hear the beat  just makes me feel like good. It’s not like a turn up song where it’s like yeah “get crazy.” I feel at ease when I hear those two songs.

HCM: When was the last time you had a crush? Were you going to say Chris Brown?

AD: No not Chris Brown. The last time I had a crush was last year my sophomore year. I realized I had the crush during winter break of last year and for the whole spring semester, but I’m over it now. That was the most recent crush I had.

HCM: So what are the qualities you look for in someone crush worthy or just any guy in general?

AD: Humor; I also find culture and ethnicity something really great. I’m not saying if you were born in America it’s whatever. But, because I’m Haitian, I love to listen to other people’s culture. So if someone was Caribbean, Indian, or African I find that attractive when you are from somewhere else. Not because they have an accent or anything it’s just that I want to learn more about their culture. Also, if they can dance, I don’t like two left feet. I like someone who has rhythm. Someone family oriented, family based,  even if they don’t have both of their  parents in the household. I like for them to atleast have a relationship with someone in their family. Also, I like it when a guy is driven, wants to do something with their life, knows what they want to do and has something to work towards in life. Lastly, I look for a guy to be somewhat spiritual because I’m not very religious and I don’t always go to church, but I do believe in God. So someone who does believe in God. So far that’s basically what I am looking for.

Do not hesitate to say hello to this Haitian-American cutie if you see her around campus. You can also stop by the HSA meetings held on Wednesdays at 3:00 in the Student Center cafe. Thanks for reading, stay cute!

Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!