Campus Celebrity: Gianna Mazzone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Gianna Mazzone

Year: Freshman C/o 2018

Major: TV & Media, & Certificate in Child Advocacy and Policy

Hometown: Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

Position at HC: Contributor Writer

Instagram: @G_yonce

This week’s Campus Celebrity is one of our very own, and newest members of the HC team, Miss Gianna Mazzone! You may have spotted this celeb sporting a casual chic outfit, paired with a nice cardigan during the day, but at night she is full on glam. Gianna’s outfits are inspired by some of the greatest fashion icons, such as Kim K. She is not only writing for HC, but for 1908 Magazine, just recently introduced to our campus. If that wasn’t enough, Gianna is also the leader of Models for Miracles- a fashion show for Children’s Miracle Network.

After my interview with Gianna, it was clear to me that she is going straight to the top. All while being focused on a degree in TV & Media, she is also hoping to be certified in Child Advocacy and Policy. Upon graduation she hopes to move to the West Coast to attend graduate school in order to higher her education in child advocacy policy, and public child welfare. Gianna dreams bigger than most, as she is determined to one day anchor her own segment on E! News. Look out for Miss G_yonce, as she will be gracing your television screens before you know it!

Gianna is best known for her role in beauty pageants, her highest rankings include: Miss New Jersey’s National Teen, and 4th runner up at Miss America’s National Teen. When asked to describe what it was like to be a pageant girl she replied, “The Miss America Organization is about style, service, scholarship and success [the four points of the crown] – awarding girls all across the country thousands of dollars in scholarships each year. More importantly having a national platform dedicated to the Children’s Miracle Network along with each personal platform every contestant possesses. Not only do you get scholarships and community service, you also get sisterhood. Win or lose you walk away with friendship, and to me that is the ultimate win of all. Being a pageant girl you are being a public figure, a role model, you are the voice of your community and you are a spokes person for your platform. Nothing is more rewarding”. She started this journey at the age of 12, upon receiving a recruitment letter in the mail for the title of Miss South Jersey Teen. She considers her self blessed for that experience, because it was then that she learned about the Miss America Organization’s sister program, Miss America’s Outstanding Teen. Overjoyed, the next day she sent out an email expressing her interest. Her favorite part of this program is being able to give back, as it has taught her the value of community service. She loves promoting her platform, “There’s no place like home”: Child Abuse Prevention, and, Awareness, as well as educating foster care, and adoption. Her platform is dedicated to her mother, who was a foster child to her grandmother, and now a foster parent herself, taking in over 50 children in the last 5 years. She has been blessed with the adoption of her little brothers, who are her world! She has started Blankets for a Cause to promote her platform. You can visit the website at blanketsforacause.com! When asked to recall her favorite pageant moment, Gianna stated right away that it was at her first “Miss” level pageant, where was competing with girls who were anywhere from 3-7 years older than herself. She explained that she went in with an open heart, and came out first runner up, and tie for the interview. Although she did not win, she is proud of herself for giving it a shot. Pageants are sometimes given a bad rep, so I asked Gianna to clear up any misconceptions for all you readers. She stated, “Don’t judge a book by its cover. We are not a beauty pageant, and we certainly have brains! The Miss America Organization has done so much more for me then simply giving me an excuse to put on a dress and wear a crown. It has given me public speaking skills, appreciation for community service, confidence, stage presence, a love for preforming arts and so much more. Every interview I walk into I feel confident, concise and poised and I truly have the Miss America Organization to thank for that. Lastly it has given me style, service, scholarship, and success”. Now 5 years into the pageant world, and some change later, here she is! Be sure to look out for this beauty, and brains on campus!

-HCXO

Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!