Campus Celebrity: Fe Lorraine Reyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Fe Lorraine Reyes

Age: 21

Major/Minor: Major- English Minor(s)- Communications & Media/Leadership Development

Year: Junior

Hometown: Old Bridge, NJ

HCM: Why did you choose Montclair State?

FR: I chose to attend Montclair State mainly for economic reasons. I always knew that I would be carrying on to get my Master’s and Doctorate, so therefore, I wanted to choose a school that gave me leeway to explore my options and possibly change my majors without that much of a financial backlash. In addition, it’s far enough from home that I could be granted the opportunity to feel and explore another area of the state, but close enough so I could go back in a short amount of time.

HCM: In what ways are you involved on campus?

FR: This ties in with the last question, because a huge incentive and contributor of deciding on Montclair State was this organization called Speaking Through Silence, which I’ve watch grow from a Class III organization, to a Class II organization of the SGA. I have this dire love for spoken word and performance poetry—a passion of which I was not able to fully explore and grow in until I came here. I became the Public Relations Chair my first semester, a position that I served for two years, and eventually became the Event Coordinator that I am now.

I’m also a Student Government Legislator under the SGA. I vote on bills for events that organizations hold, and therefore am involved by endorsing events that get other people involved.

HCM: How long have you been a part of Speaking Through Silence and the SGA?

FR: I’ve been apart of Speaking Through Silence since before my first semester at Montclair. I became heavily involved in the poetry community and won a spot on the CUPSI 2015 team! I continue to serve the community any which I can. As for the SGA, I just got assigned as a Student Government Legislator this semester.

HCM: As the Event Coordinator for Speaking Through Silence, what exactly does your role consist of?

FR: As an Event Coordinator, I register the organization events. This means that I book whatever I need in order for the organization to carry out the event (i.e. rooms we need, props, mic stands, speakers, etc.)

HCM: Let’s get on to your major: why did you decide to become an English major?

FR: I love this question, because every semester since I started my Undergrad, there has always been that one English class that serves as a stalwart reminder for why I belong in this major. I became an English major because I have yet to find a realm that surpasses my passion for writing. Also, practicality wise, it’s so flexible. No workplace will ever deny an individual who excels at writing; for being able to write is the exercising and manifestation of your ability to analytically think. The importance of critically doing so is a skill that is, sometimes, virtually undermined. Best of all, there is a sense of singularity that comes with being able to analyze. That is to say that to be able to write, you must conjure ideas by yourself. There is freedom in knowing that I do not have to regurgitate and accept information that is given to me.

Best of all, being an English major has allowed me to better grasp and comprehend my world.

HCM: And what would you say is your favorite thing about the major?

FR: I will never, ever run out of things to learn.

HCM: Do you have a favorite class that you’ve taken so far?

FR: Tough. It’s either “The Pursuit of English” with Dr. Jeffrey Miller or “Theorizing of Communication & Media” with Dr. Marylou Naumoff. I hold a sentiment towards both for different reasons, but I know that without them, I would not have grown in either my abilities to write or articulate. 

HCM: What has been your favorite part about college so far?

FR: The community that has allowed me to be myself to its fullest capacity—whatever that is/turn out to be.

HCM: Care for a little speed round?

FR: You betcha!

SPEED ROUND!

Favorite song(s)?  Damn, you’re gonna make me do this . . . “Heart of Life”- John Mayer and “La Vie Boheme”- RENT the Musical

Words you live by? “When you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” –The Alchemist

Favorite movie(s)? Inglorious Basterds and Mulan

Favorite book(s)? Don’t do that to me. Right now it’s “The Interpreter of Maladies” by Jhumpa Lahiri. Subject to change, check back in 5 months.

Favorite food(s)? I don’t understand this question. Can ALL foods (socially acceptable… I frown upon cannibalism) edible count?

Top three countries you would visit? Me and the Bae have got an Italy fund going on, so that’s first on my (our) list. I’d love to visit Germany, just because my dad lived there for a portion of his life and bugs me to go. Lastly, I’d love to visit Bali.

Celebrity crush(es)? Bruh. Jennifer Lawrence.

Favorite season? Fall. Fall. Fall. Fall. Fall. Fall. Fall. Fall.

Pet Peeve? Sinks.

Fun Fact? I’m applying to Columbia for Graduate School. If that’s not fun enough, I can do this with my hand (does the thing, shrieks for you).

HCM: What motivates you?

FR: The person who I was afraid to be when I was told by society not to be her.

HCM: What inspires you?

FR: Personally, I’m inspired by people that are expansive in their thinking, both intentionally and inadvertently— for it’s simply not in their nature to succumb to conformity.

HCM: Do you have any role models?

FR: Dr. Naumoff—this song’s for you. (Slow increase of volume to the song, “I Believe I Can Fly” by R. Kelly)

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

FR: I probably already like you.

HCM: All right, let’s say you’re having a dinner party and can only have five people come; who do you want there and why?

FR: James Lipton or Morgan Freeman (for the voice effects), Ellen Degeneres (for the laugh), Jennifer Lawrence (see above question), a Minion (for sheer entertainment), and Tina Fey (I don’t need a reason for that).

HCM: What would be your dream career?

FR: I’m phased by this question, partially because I do not know, and another part because it insinuates that I must set out to have a particular, intended career (and dream of it, nonetheless) in order to be fulfilled. I like the question, who is the dream person you want to be? (Can I add that? Is that allowed? Should I get off the stage?) If I can, just know that I want to be somebody that inspires people to be and do better, even if that person is me.

HCM: Haha! Don’t worry, it’s totally allowed (and please remain on the stage as long as you’d like!) That’s a great answer and a great outlook to have on life and future success. Where do you see yourself in five years? 

FR: In an apartment in New York, studying for some final that I’m taking for a class.. at Columbia.

HCM: To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for our Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year?

FR: This is not an extension of high school.

Also, being kind to other people means being kind to yourself as well.

…. So be kind to your bank account and your future self by eradicating the notion that this is an extension of high school.

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.