This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Everyone feels that midday slump when the energy starts to lull, and sometimes a cup of coffee just doesn’t help enough. Sometimes, let’s face it, you gotta take a nap on campus. I have gone ahead and done the hard work for you, and denoted the best places to sleep on the main campus of MSU if you don’t or can’t find a dorm to crash in. I’ve rated the spots by comfiness, noise level and other important factors. To find out where to get your snooze on, keep reading!

Each nap space will have the location and be rated upon a comfort level on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the comfiest, a quietness level on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the quietest, foot traffic level on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the least busy (unless class lets out, obviously), and finally the amount of light in the area from dim to supernova.

The Business Building: Lower Level Hallway Chairs

Comfort Level: 7.5/10

Quietness: 7/10 in the hallways adjoining the cafe, 10/10 in the other hallway if there are no classes in session

Lack of Foot Traffic: 8/10

Light: Medium Brightness, pull a hood down over your eyes and you’ll be good

The business building is my personal favorite place to do work and then subsequently get too tired doing work and take a well deserved nap. However, I know this location won’t be a favorite to everybody due to the shape of the chairs.

The Library

Comfort Level: 5/10 

Quietness: 9/10

Lack of Foot Traffic: Ranges from 3/10 to 9/10 depending on the area

Light: Can vary from dim to medium brightness depending on the area

The library is too large of a location for me to pick just one place to take a nap, however sometimes you find yourself passed out on the desk in the printing lab. Once you wake up, be sure to wipe the drool of your face and rub the computer key marks out of your cheek. I recommend the chairs on the 3rd floor as the best option for nap time.

Café Diem

Comfort Level: 8/10

Quietness: 3/10

Lack of Foot Traffic: 2/10

Light: Relatively bright

If you’re in one of the couch chairs at Café Diem and have headphones, go ahead and knock out. Otherwise, you might find yourself tossing and turning repeatedly, or the delectable smell of Au Bon Pain might cause you to want a snack you don’t need.

Student Center: 3rd Floor Couches

Comfort Level: 7/10

Quietness: Ranges from 5/10 to 8/10

Lack of Foot Traffic: 6/10

Light: Medium Brightness

Another great location to do work and then immediately take a nap, the 3rd floor of the Student Center has a great nap atmosphere. I suggest bringing headphones in case it’s a bit crowded, but otherwise the sound of people talking tends to blend together and fade into the background.

University Hall Corridor near the Courtyard

Comfort Level: 10/10

Quietness: 9/10

Lack of Foot Traffic: 8/10

Light: Medium Brightness 

Hands down the best place to take a nap on campus, this is not the location to pretend you’re going to write your paper. The second you sink into these super comfortable chairs, you’ll simply have to close your eyes, just for a second, and next thing you know you’ve slept through 2 classes, a fire drill, and a quiz due on Canvas. The only downside is you’ll have to catch these chairs when they’re empty – those who know about the comfiness are not eager to let it go.

Sources: 1, 2

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.