The Best Gems from Tina Fey’s ‘Bossypants’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As a fan of Tina Fey’s writings and comedies, I borrowed a copy of Bossypants from my best friends bookshelf last summer.

With an insane senior schedule, I sped through chapters on my morning commute. Swaying along with the train, I followed Tina Fey through her young memories with her father, introductory years into theater, experiments with boys, and finally, into the successful woman we know today. Vintage photographs rest between her sarcastic lines, as she recounts her personal and career lessons.

If finals prevent you from reading the novel yourself, here are the best takeaways for understanding Tina Fey’s journey, and how you can apply her insights to your life.

The Early Days

“I moved to Chicago in 1992 to study improv and it was everything I wanted it to be. It was like a cult. People ate, people slept, and definitely drank improv.” (81)

The Rules of Improvisation That Will Change Your Life and Reduce Belly Fat
  1. “To me YES, AND means don’t be afraid to contribute. It’s your responsibility to contribute. Always make sure you’re adding something to the discussion. Your initiations are worthwhile.

2. Whatever the problem, be a part of the solution. Don’t sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles. We’ve all worked with that person.

3. MAKE STATEMENTS also applies to us women: Speak in statements instead of apologetic questions. No one wants to go to a doctor who says, “I’m going to be your surgeon? I was first in my class at Johns Hopkins, so?” (84-85)   

Tina Fey was destined for SNL

“In 1997 I flew to New York from Chicago to interview for a writing position at Saturday Night Live. It seemed promising because I’d heard the show was looking for diversity. Only in comedy, by the way, does a disobedient white girl from the suburbs count as diversity.” (119)

You Have to Slay the Competition

“This is what I tell young women who ask me for career advice. People are going to try to trick you. To make you feel that you are in competition with one another. “You’re up for a promotion. If they go with a woman, it’ll be between you and Barbara.” Don’t be fooled. You’re not in competition with other women. You’re in competition with everyone.”

Just Go For It

“You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.” (123)  

The Tina-Amy Duo

“Amy Poehler was new to SNL and we were all crowded into the seventeenth-floor writers’ room…Amy was in the middle of some nonsense with Seth Meyers…and she did something vulgar as a joke…Jimmy Fallon…turned to her and in a faux-squeamish voice said, “Stop that! It’s not cute! I don’t like it.”

Amy dropped what she was doing, went black in the eyes for a second, and wheeled around on him, “I don’t f—ing care if you like it.”

With that exchange, a cosmic shift took place. Amy made it clear that she wasn’t there to be cute. She wasn’t there to play wives and girlfriends in the boys’ scenes. She was there to do what she wanted to do and she did not f—ing care if you like it.” (143-144)

Pick Your Battles

“So my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following questions: “Is this person in between me and what I want to do?” If the answer is no, ignore it and move on.” (144)

Tina Fey & Politics

“I would have chosen to stop short of being overtly political if I’d had more time to smooth it out, because one: I think it’s more powerful for comedians and news anchors to be impartial, and two: I am a coward.

The next day…Former president Clinton called me at home to thank me. Mrs. Clinton called later that same day to thank me…When I told my mom that former president Clinton told me I “did a great thing for my country” in defending Mrs. Clinton like that, she made a barfing sound.

Did I mention that my parents are republicans?” (206)

Using Comedy to Address Sexism

“People who don’t like Hillary call her a ballbuster. People who didn’t like Sarah called her Caribou Barbie. People attempted to marginalize these women based on their gender. Amy’s line “Although it is never sexist to question female politicians’ credentials” was basically the thesis statement for everything we did over the next six weeks [on SNL]. Not that anyone noticed. You all watched a sketch about feminism and you didn’t even realize it because of all the jokes.” (217)

Tiny Fey = Goals

“What turning forty means to me: I need to take my pants off as soon as I get home. I didn’t use to have to do that. But now I do.” (265)

Image Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Senior English major obsessed with the culinary industry. I come from a large Italian-Polish family, and spend my time thinking about food. I collect books, enjoy learning American Sign Language, and binge-watching The Walking Dead.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.