Beat The Summer Slump: A Guide To Getting Back Into The College Rhythm and Making This Your Best Year Yet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As we begin the new school year we know that the lazy days of sleeping in late and laying by the pool are no longer with us. As our tans fade, we must figure out how to get back into the everyday routine of college. But fear not, there are plenty of ways to start the semester off as smooth as possible, despite our impending paleness. Try some of the tips below and get ready to rock the new school year ahead:

Make Time to See the Friends You Haven’t Seen Since the Spring Semester

Such a large part of enjoying school is having friends around to have fun with and help support us. Hit that new coffee spot on campus and catch up on everything that your friends did this summer. One of the best parts of returning to campus is being reunited with your BFFs!

Get to Know Your Class Schedule

Take a screenshot of your class schedule and make it your cell phone background so you can refer to it quickly when you’re rushing to class. Another helpful idea is to make sure that you know all the buildings that your classes are in. Most schools provide a map of the campus when you move in. If you’re unsure of where you’re going, then consider doing a practice walk through of going to each of your classes before they really start.

Print All of Your Syllabi and Highlight Key Points

There is a LOT of information and due dates to keep track of in college classes. Some professors will give directions for a large assignment in the syllabus and not mention it again until it is due. By really sitting down and going through your syllabus you can take note of vital aspects to keep track of for the semester. The earlier you make a plan of how to tackle large assignments – the better! It is also helpful to take note of your professors information such as their most used email and office hours.

Find the Perfect Study Spot

Admit it, getting yourself to sit down and study when you could be hanging out with friends or exploring new things to do on campus is difficult. There are so many distractions and excuses to keep us from hitting the books like that table of cute guys sitting near you in the dining hall or your friends spontaneous desire to bake a batch of cookies that she absolutely needs your help with. Whatever it is, we let ourselves get distracted easily. When you find a space to study where you feel as though you can really sit down and concentrate, make it a point to go there often. This can be a quiet desk in the library, or maybe a specific table on the quad where you feel relaxed. Or perhaps you’ve made your dorm room desk super organized, which makes you feel motivated to get that studying done. Really work to find this central studying space – your grades will thank you later.

See Your Advisor Right Away

Make sure you are on track with all of your classes. It’s a great idea to keep track of them yourself, but always make sure to double check with an advisor in case you are missing anything that you may not have noticed. This is especially important if you are a senior as you want to make sure that there aren’t any last minute issues that may get in the way of graduation.

Decorate Your Dorm Room

This is your home for the next nine months – make it feel that way! Bring some photos you had on your wall at home, fake flowers or a colorful throw rug to liven up those dreary dorm rooms. Add some fun lighting and make it a comfortable place that you’ll want to spend time in.

Write Out Goals For the Semester

Writing out goals is so important for taking steps to actually accomplish them. Make sure to pick a couple to really focus on and make them clear.  Some examples can include “Raise my GPA to a 3.5 this semester” or, “Make sure I get to the gym at least 3x a week”, or even “Make at least one friend in each of my classes”.  The goals don’t have to be anything crazy, but they should give you a clear image of what you are aiming to achieve. Write these goals out and have them posted somewhere you can see every day, such as next to your bed, desk, or bathroom mirror.

Schedule Homework/Study “Appointments”

Plan an exact hour every day that is dedicated just to homework or reviewing class notes. Actually scheduling out the time you will do this will help avoid those Netflix procrastination binges.

Make a Friend in Each Class

While this may feel awkward at first to smile at the person sitting next to you or to strike up a conversation, making this connection will really help you in the long run. Being able to have a contact to get notes from in case you overslept and missed your class or someone you can ask about that essay you left for the last minute is crucial. You’ll be thankful for this later in the semester.

Try to incorporate some of the tips above, and get prepared for the best semester yet!