This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When I first heard about Fitbits, I thought that they were only for serious athletes and people who were extremely out of shape. But lately, I noticed a few friends rocking Fitbits on their wrists. On the first day of class, I overheard one girl saying she lost her Fitbit, sounding completely devastated! My mom even asked for one for her birthday this year, so of course, I wondered if I should get one for myself too.

Fitbits are sold everywhere; they even sell them online at Montclair State University’s bookstore! They have both wristband and pocket-size trackers but depending on the style, one can cost you anywhere from $60 all the way up to $250. That’s a lot of money for a college student to spend on a fitness tracker.

But are they worth it?

I asked three college students about their Fitbits to see if they’re worth the money, and here’s what I found out.

Easy to Track Workouts and Calories

The main function of a Fitbit is to track how active you are, but it has never before been so easy and convenient. It automatically knows when you’re working out and syncs the information about your workout with the app on your phone. If it notices that you haven’t moved in a while, it will remind you to be active. You can also count your calories on the app, which in turn helps you live a healthier lifestyle.

“I like how it vibrates every hour to encourage you to get some steps in. I find that really helpful, just because at school it’s so easy to get stuck just sitting for hours doing work.”Kristen Matthews, Montclair State University ‘18

They Double as a Smart Watch

How convenient would it be to be able to track your daily activity and check the time on the same device? Some variations of Fitbits are also able to function as a watch. This allows you to keep track of the time and see how many steps you’ve reached for the day, no matter where you are. You can see how long you’ve been working out for without even having to look at your phone.

“I use mine to track my miles and as a watch, too. It makes me feel great when I see that I’ve gone a lot over my goal!” – Kelly Coyle, Point Park University ‘17

Fitbits Will Motivate You

Although not physically in the box, the best thing about Fitbits seems to be the motivation that comes with owning one. I suppose that looking down and being able to see how active (or lazy) you were for the day can really get you moving. It’s like your own personal cheerleader.

“It motivates me to get up and be active and get my steps in whenever I can.” Soha Rahimi, Montclair State University ‘18

The conclusion? Yes, Fitbits are worth the hefty price tag that they carry. They make it easy for you to track exercise and log meals, while being able to function as a watch, too. You’ll be a lot more motivated to stay active, be healthy, and reach your goals if you have a Fitbit, so you should probably add a “Fitbit Alta” to the top of your Christmas list this year.  

Source: 1 2 

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.