Amber Gaston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Amber Gaston

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology

Hometown: Morristown, NJ

Collegiates, meet Amber Gaston. Amber also goes by Amber Alyse because that is her stage name. Stage name for what you may ask, Amber is a phenomenal singer! Before we delve into her singing abilities, let’s learn some facts about her! Amber is from Morristown, NJ and currently a sophomore at Montclair State University majoring in biology. Amber stays busy on campus; she is in the biology club and just recently joined Brotherhood. If that wasn’t enough, Amber also works! She works as a realtor at Century 21 Christel in Rockaway, NJ and on campus at the Office of Information Technology (OIT). Amber is very talented and when HC Montclair asked Amber why she chose to major in biology she said, “I chose biology because I want to go to medical school because there always jobs available in the medical field. It’s good to have a few back up plans”. Well put, Amber!

As stated earlier, Amber is a singer. Amber (Amber Alyse) is a singer/songwriter and works with This~N~That Productionz in Morristown, NJ. Aretha Franklin really inspires Amber because Aretha Franklin helps her develop her talent. When asked what type of music she likes Amber told HC Montclair, “I listen to many different types of genres, depending on what mood I’m in. However, my all time favorite would have to be 90’s R&B. I LOVE SLOW JAMS. Plus, I feel like the 90’s to the early 2000’s was the last of good music. Each song was different and it was about something that you could really relate too. I can listen to those older songs now and feel like it’s my first time hearing them because they’re so meaningful”.  Amber stresses the fact that writing about personal experiences and what she knows helps her music because it is meaningful that way; she feels that many 90’s and early 200’s artists have done that and she wants to emulate that. Amber adds, “I also like to write music for other artist as well because it gives me a chance to explore outside of my personality and write things that I wouldn’t necessarily say as ‘Amber Alyse’”.

She is mainly known on campus for her singing. Amber shared a story with HC Montclair, “I remember one day I told a group of people that I sing and make my own music and of course they put me on the spot. And being an artist you can’t be shy, so in the middle of a crowded dining hall I sang the beginning of my song “Save Your Life” and the whole room went quiet. The people I sang to were so excited! Although I like to stay humble, it made me feel really good”. Amber is so brave, she was asked to sing and she brought it! Good job, Amber! Amber also sang recently at the Complexions Band Dance Team Party.  She sang two of her original songs, the first one is called “On Lock” and the second one is called “I’m Over It”. They were both about different relationship situations she has been in.

Amber told HC Montclair how she plans to accomplish her dreams in the music industry, “? I’m to keep doing what I’m doing. Constantly working harder to improve as well as promote my music. I’ll be networking with other well known independent artists to gain connections.  And I’m going to keep making great music!” Amber has a bright future ahead of her but, she can’t do it on her own. He has many supporters and she tells HC Montclair who they are. “My biggest supporters in life are God and my Mother. But music wise, without a doubt it would have to be my Best friend/ Producer/ Engineer Ryan Gramby. He has taught me a lot about the music industry and he constantly pushes me to do my best, and then make it better.  He’s helped me to gain confidence as an artist because I didn’t always have it. Ryan and I make a great team! A lot of people don’t understand what that means or what it entails, but we look out for each other, we encourage one another, and we push each other to do better”. With that amount of support, Amber can do anything she sets her mind to! Collegiates, keep an eye for Amber Alyse because she will make it big!

Follow Amber Alyse on Instagram @AmberSoGlam and Ryan A.K.A Preim @Get_PreimBeats!

Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!