9 Albums We’re DYING to Get Our Hands On in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When ringing in the New Year, you’re not only celebrating the ending of the previous year, but preparing yourself for the greatness that is to come in the next. And if you’re a music lover like I am, you’re more than excited for your favorite artists to drop a new album because NEW YEAR = NEW MUSIC! Here are nine albums you should be on the lookout for in 2016!

Kanye West – The Life of Pablo

Getting married and starting a family is a good reason as to why some would take a hiatus from the studio, but leave it to Kanye to find a way to juggle it all. He’s been in the studio like crazy lately which means a new album is on the way. During an intense Twitter exchange with Wiz Khalifa (and ex Amber Rose), he revealed the album is to drop February 14th! Kanye is known for changing it up and never doing the same thing twice, so be sure to expect something different and be open to his crazy creativity. I’m positive The Life of Pablo will be all over the Billboard Hot 100 for months to come. After all, he is a genius – just ask him. 

Keith Urban – RipCORD

In the world of Country music, there are many realeases slated for this year that have 2016 looking like a strong year for the genre. Now, even if you’re not exactly be the biggest Country fan (slightly guilty), chances are you might at least have a favorite artist (also guilty). If you’re thinking Carrie Underwood is on my list you’re wrong (her latest album dropped last year and she’s gearing up for a tour that starts in less than a month.) The artist I’m talking about is Keith Urban. With the final season of American Idol well underway, Keith’s returning to music fulltime. His new album RipCORD is set to drop May 6th and I’m sure all you country fans will love it!

Ariana Grande – Dangerous Woman 

Ariana Grande is another artist who announced they’d be dropping a new album in 2016. In preparation, she released a single “Focus” (which, yes, is similar to her smash hit “Problem” just minus the rap verse from Iggy Azalea.) With “Focus” being so catchy, I’m sure you already know the song is burning up the Billboard Hot 100 chart. While the official name was in musical limbo for quite some time, Grande released a follow up single titled “Dangerous Woman” and announced an album of the same name would be released May 20th! In the meantime, if you’re looking for a way to get your Grande fix, you can check out her Viva Glam collaboration with MAC Cosmetics. Best part? All the proceeds go to charity!

Gwen Stefani – This is What the Truth Feels Like

Are you hollaback girl? Cause this girl definitely isn’t! Gwen Stefani is back and shows no signs of going anywhere soon. As if being a judge on The Voice, running her uber-successful L.A.M.B fashion company and collaborating on a makeup line with Urban Decay wasn’t enough, why not add a album into the mix? Stefani has already released a single called “Used to Love You” inspired by her divorce from Gavin Rossdale last year. The song is definitely heavy but like any Gwen album, I’m sure we’ll see a mixture between emotional Gwen and bubbly Gwen on the album. The album, This is What the Truth Feels Like, is set to drop on March 18th!

Zayn Malik – Mind of Mine

I know your boyband heart may be still broken over the news One Direction has gone on hiatus, but there’s a silver lining: Zayn Malik is putting out a solo album. Since his departure from the band, Zayn has been playing around with his look (and rockin’ that silver hair), locking lips with Gigi Hadid and spending major time in the studio. There’s been rumors that his album Mind of Mine is filled with features from Kehlani to Lil’ Wayne just to drop a few names, but we won’t officially know until he drops the album (or at least the tracklist). We all know Zayn can sing, so there’s no reason why this album shouldn’t be amazing. Are you ready for R&B Zayn? I think he’s going to love his new home in the R&B world.

Charlie Puth – Nine Track Mind

When you’re discovered by Ellen Degeneres, you’re almost guaranteed to do amazing things in Hollywood. Charlie Puth put himself on the map through collaborating with Wiz Khalifa for the Fast and Furious Seven anthem, “See You Again” and Meghan Trainor for “Marvin Gaye.” Charlie has been a huge success without even dropping an album, so with the release of Nine Track Mind, he’s sure to have an even bigger year in 2016.

Drake – Views from the 6

Lately Drake has been dropping mixtapes like crazy and has been featured on numerous songs, but an fear not: an album is around the corner. Drake is very capable of making a living with just features, but like his last album, Views from the 6 is sure to be all anyone talks about after it is released. And you can’t go wrong with a Beyoncé feature on your album. I have feeling Drake will be up for a bunch of Grammy’s next year too, don’t you?

The 1975 – I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful, yet so unaware

There’s nothing like a great band to put you in a great a mood. The 1975’s debut album was a killer (and moody) hit. So how do you follow up one the best alternative breakthroughs of the last five years? Switch up your aesthetic by throwing some pink into your greyscale color scheme, pull out your best Bowie-esque 80’s grooves and rock on! The band will be releasing an album this year called I Like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful, yet so unaware of it. The cheeky title is so Matt Healy but also leaves us wondering what exactly this album will be like. From what has been relreased so far, the music is sure to be amazing. Be sure to check them on out on Saturday Night Live this Saturday, January 30th!

Frank Ocean – Boy’s Don’t Cry

The last album on this list is one we have been waiting on for YEARS: Frank Ocean’s highly anticapted follow up to 2012’s Channel Orange – Boy’s Don’t Cry. It was first rumoured that the album was to be released this past August, but we got nothing. Then there were rumours of a New Years release and still – NOTHING. FRANK OCEAN WHERE ARE YOU? WE MISS YOU DEARLY. Even Adele is getting impatient. You can’t just make one of the best R&B albums of the last decade and ghost us, okay Frank? We get it though, great art takes time so we’ll wait; we’re dedicated and you’re too good of an artist for us to let you go.  

*This article was updated to reflect correct album title’s and release dates*

19. Montclair ' 18 . New Jersey. I love food, dogs, summer, hair extensions, makeup, and J. Cole.