7 Tasty Snacks You Can Take Anywhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Most college students are always in a rush. Between classes, work and a social life, it can be easy to forget to eat. Next thing we know, it’s midnight and there we are. collapsing into our beds on empty stomachs. We need food to fuel our bodies; it provides us with the energy we need to get through the day! 

Contrary to popular belief, we should actually be eating snacks throughout the day! According to New York dietician Keri Gans, as reported to Real Simple, “Most women need to eat at least every three to four hours to fend off hunger and keep their bodies functioning optimally.” 

This means that even if you’re eating breakfast at 8am, lunch at 1pm and dinner at 7pm, you should have a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Trust me, you will be able to focus a lot more when you aren’t wondering if people can hear your stomach growling.

Since most of us (probably )don’t want to carry an old-fashioned lunchbox around all day, this little Sistema container will make our lives a lot easier. It may seem small, but it fits the perfect portions of snacks that you’ll need throughout the day. You can find one like this one basically anywhere; I’ve seen it on Amazon and even in stores! You might even find a different container that works even better for you! This one has two compartments; a removable top tray and the main area. You should make sure to eat healthy snacks, but we all know that it can be hard to stick to a plan like that. You’d be surprised at how much more willing you’d be to eat healthier when you pack your snacks like this!

Now that you’ve found your perfect container, here are 7 snacks that fit in this adorable container that will give you the power you need to make it through the day!

Pretzels, Carrots and Hummus

Hummus is a classic, go-to snack. The only problem is that it can be tempting to eat a whole container in one sitting. By portioning out a real serving size into your snack container, you definitely won’t overeat! There is a huge variety of hummus flavors available, so pick your favorite and then grab some baby carrots and a few pretzels for dipping.

Popcorn, Almonds and Dark Chocolate

While many people think greasy, movie theater popcorn is the only type of popcorn, there are so many other healthier options! Air-popped popcorn is so much better for you. They even sell healthier versions of popcorn like SkinnyPop. Popcorn by itself might get a little boring, so add in a few nuts, like almonds or cashews. You can even get your chocolate fix in by adding in some pieces of dark chocolate!

Carrots, Celery, Tomatoes and Ranch Dressing

If you’ve ever been to a family party or holiday gathering, you’ve probably seen the vegetable platter before. Mindless snacking is ten times better when it’s with healthy foods! If you aren’t crazy about vegetables alone, dipping them in ranch dressing will make them taste a lot more flavorful. Try carrots, celery, grape tomatoes or your favorite vegetable with ranch dressing!

Grapes and Babybel Cheese

Grapes and cheese together are arguably one of the best food pairings. Just thinking about soft cheese and fresh, crisp grapes makes my mouth water. According to SFGATE, red grapes are better for you than green grapes because they are richer in antioxidants. While there are endless options for cheese, Mini Babybel cheese wheels are definitely a favorite. There are multiple types, like original, light, sharp and white cheddar. Since they are individually wrapped, your cheese won’t get soggy from the grapes!

Celery and Cookie Butter

If you haven’t tried Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter yet, you’re really missing out. It’s literally a cookie spread. Just like hummus, you’ll probably want to eat the whole jar after your first spoonful. You can dip practically anything into cookie butter, but the healthiest option would be celery. Yes, you read that right: vegetables and cookies! You have to trust me on this one; it’s a delicious combo!

Berries and Dark Chocolate

Strawberries and blueberries and raspberries, oh my! Another snack to get your chocolate fix in while still staying healthy! Pick your favorite berries and cut up some dark chocolate pieces for another great combination. If you have the time, try melting the dark chocolate, dipping the berries in it, and refrigerating.

Apples and Peanut Butter

Apples and Peanut Butter is a snack that will keep you full until you have time for your next meal. Go for a natural peanut butter that isn’t terrible for your body, like Justin’s Classic Peanut Butter. Justin’s makes almond butter as well, which also goes great with freshly cut apples!

These 7 snacks are sure to keep you functioning through all of the busy days that we have as college students. Have fun snacking!

Sources: 1

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.