5 Ways You Can Give Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Personally, I am truly at my happiest when I know I am making a difference in the community and am making a difference in somebody’s life. I encourage you all to take a day out of your holiday season this year to give back. Throughout the holidays, the need for volunteers and donations grow. Check out HC Montclair’s five perfect ways that any college student can give back this holiday season.

1. Donate: Winter is here, and is it cold! This is the perfect time to donate gently used winter clothes that may not fit you or may not fit your style to give to someone who could truly use it. Check out these links below for direct information on where you can donate: Check out Jersey Cares, CFBNJ, and One Warm Coat. Along with winter comes good ol’ Kris Kringle. This is another perfect time to donate. Gently used and/or new toys are especially needed to make sure every child gets a visit from Santa this Christmas! There are so many toy collections thoughout our communities, but One Simple Wish and Toys For Tots are our favorites.
  2. Volunteer: With the holiday season approaching, there are so many organizations that could use volunteers. From sorting food at your local food back or serving food to those of need, you can do anything. Consider volunteering for the Red Kettle Campaign and CFBNJ!
  3. DIY: Who doesn’t love a good DIY? With the holidays approaching, there are so many ways you can get crafty to give back! Try creating stockings for the homeless, stockings for veterans, stockings for soldiers, or even holiday cards for veterans and soldiers. Check out Holiday Stockings and Operation Support Our Troops – America for more ideas!
  4. Food Donations: Be that chef and/or baker you have always aspired to be! There are so many ways you can advance your cooking or baking experience while giving back to your community. Try making cookies or casseroles or even bagged lunches or dinners. These ideas are fabulous to give back to the heroes of our community who risk their lives to protect ours such as the police or firemen. You even could visit you local hospital to donate to the nurses and doctors who don’t get a break this holiday. You could even donate to elderly neighbors who could use a nice meal to take a night off cooking! The possibilities are endless.
  5. Lend An Ear: This time of year is great for lending an ear and visiting local patients at the hospital or even your local nursing home. You also could visit your local children’s hospital to read Christmas books to the patients or make some awesome crafts. Everyone needs someone to lean on – especially during the holiday season. Be that person this year!

As you can see, there are so many ways for you to get involved and give back this holiday season. As Miss Monmouth County 2015, I encourage you to all take some time out of your holiday season to go and do just that, give back and make a difference because around this time of year, nothing is more rewarding.

Gianna Mazzone IG: G_yonce Giannamazzone.com Singer, Actress, Volunteer, CEO, Blankets for a Cause, Child Abuse Prevention Advocate, Student, but the Miss America Organization started it all.