This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

From Shakespeare to Hemmingway to Poe, there are millions of books that are a joy to read. Making a list of them is almost impossible. However, I have attempted the impossible and composed a list of amazing books that every woman should read at least once in her life! 

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Of course this made it on the list. Yes Please is awkward, funny and details the day-to-day aspects of growing up as a woman in today’s world. Amy Poehler is brutally honest and anything is fair game to be discussed in her book. I think we can all agree that any advice from Amy Poehler is good advice. 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

This is one of the heavier books to appear on the list but trust me on this one. This book is amazing in every aspect. While written a long time ago, Sylvia Plath is able to relate to your average millennial’s life. She describes the depression that most of us experience from time to time while somehow still making this a joy to read. The Bell Jar is an overall classic that not only all women should read but all of mankind as well. 

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Of course John Green has made it on to this list. John Green is what some would consider this generations Shakespeare and for good reason. His books speak directly to the millennial generation and will have a profound effect on your life. If by the end of the novel you do not want to become a replica of the character Alaska, you need to go back and re-read the book. The novel will change the way you look at life and will leave you looking for an adventure of your own to take.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

This is single handily the most amazing book I have ever read. We Were liars will completely change your life from start to finish. What begins as your typical lazy summer read has such an intense plot twist that it will leave you awake at night wondering what just happened and wanting to tell the world about it. If you read anything off of this list please, let this be it. 

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

This is another lazy summer read but also another extremely good one. Set in the dead of summer, it centers around tomboy named Belly who falls hopelessly in love with two brothers. While the set up might seem a bit weird, the book teaches girls a lot about growing up and entering your teenage years. It’s a book that you will want to read again and again. Most importantly, the lessons you will take away are invaluable.

Just your normal freshmen student at Montclair State University who studies english/ communications and has a serious love for puppies and pumpkin spice coffee.