2016 Emmy Awards: Fashion Re-Cap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

There’s nothing better than the glitz and glam of awards season. This year’s 68th Annual Emmy Awards were hosted by late night host Jimmy Kimmel, and while the show was ablaze with hit and miss moments, the red carpet made up for it.

The Emmy’s red carpet was nothing short of flawless fashion. Top designers like Vera Wang and Oscar de la Renta made appearances throughout the night, bringing the magic to the red carpet.  Even if they didn’t win the coveted Emmy award, these stars won big in the fashion game.

Priyanka Chopra – “Quantico”

The Quantico and Baywatch star was a fiery-red dream. Dressed in Jason Wu, she certainly wooed social media and proved there’s nothing wrong with matching the red carpet.

Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin and Milly Bobby Brown – “Stranger Things”

What were you doing at 12 years old other than obsessing over Zac Efron? We’re pretty sure it wasn’t walking the red carpet! The kids of Stranger Things are doing more than all right. They’ve made a remarkable impression on pop culture and continued to do so on the red carpet dressed in Valentino Red and Edie Parker.

Kerry Washington – “Scandal”

Nominated for Lead Actress in a Limited Series for “Confirmation”

Brandon Maxwell deserves a round of applause for this knockout (and cut out) dress. Kerry Washington is breathtaking in this strapless piece structured to hit every curve. Let’s not forget about the dramatic cape in the back either, perfect for Ms. Olivia Pope. We think it’s safe to say that Kerry’s baby will inherit an impeccable sense of style from their mama!

America Ferrera – “Superstore”

America brought the party to the Emmy’s with this Jenny Packham slip dress. With gold accessories and a pop of color, she definitely nailed it.

Anika Noni Rose – “Power”

The star of Showtime’s Power shines like a diamond in this majestic Tadashi Shoji Grecian gown. It’s hard not to admire the elegant train, and the embellished neckline is the perfect finishing touch for this white hot number. What else would you expect from a Disney princess?

Julia Louis-Dreyfus – “Veep”

Nominated for Lead Actress in a Comedy: WON!

If Julia Louis-Dreyfus hasn’t captured your heart yet as Eileen on Seinfield or for her love for fabulous style from those Old Navy commercials, then her tear-jerking acceptance speech for Veep will seal the deal. Dressed in an elegant Carolina Herrera halter gown, Julia made the not-so LBD, classy and chic. Did we mention that she won her FIFTH consecutive Emmy award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Laverne Cox – “Orange is the New Black”

If “Gold is the New Black,” we’re totally okay with it. Laverne stole the night dressed in this figure flattering and show-stopping Naeem Khan dress. This embellished and embroidered number is fit for a queen and although she wasn’t up for any awards, it’s no question that she won best dressed!

Carly Chaikin – “Mr. Robot”

Carly’s dress is a force to be reckoned with. This galactic design by Reem Acra is beyond beautiful. Only a stunner as fierce as Carly could pull off this intricately detailed number. The coolest thing about Carly’s ensemble? It’s a jumpsuit AND skirt!

Taraji P. Henson – “Empire”

Nominated for Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Empire

As Cookie Lyon would say, “I’m here to get what’s mine,” and Taraji P. Henson did just that. Then again, would we expect anything less from the HBIC? Bringing a dose of sunshine to the red carpet, this Vera Wang body-con is the perfect send-off to Summer 2016.

Tracee Ellis Ross – “Blackish”

Nominated for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for “Black-ish”

With her pearly whites to match, Tracee Ellis Ross looked like she walked out of heaven in this Ralph Lauren gown. This angelic one shoulder cut out dress is is the perfect match to her cheerful personality.

Regina King – “American Crime”

Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for “American Crime”: WON!

No crimes were committed with this regal piece. Regina King sizzled in this classic Elizabeth Kennedy gown. It may not have been as daring as others, but it’s still beautiful.

Source: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Deckonti

Montclair

I am the sixth Spice Girl that history fails to mention. When I'm not exploring the city or knocking back green smoothies, I'm working on my web series and binge watching Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World, the Golden Girls, and Will and Grace.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.