This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As women, we tend to take better care of ourselves when it comes to our beauty, hygiene, and lastly, health. We try our best to watch what we eat and get that workout in, but it’s getting that dose of vitamins that really makes a difference.

As you may know, there are so many different vitamins for different uses. Walking down the vitamins aisle at our local pharmacy is almost always confusing. Lucky for you, we took the time to sort out the 10 most important vitamins and we are sharing their significance with you!

1. Biotin. This, ladies, is your go-to vitamin if you want longer, shinier, and healthier hair, stronger nails, and clearer skin. It even helps your nerves, digestive tract, metabolism, and cells.  You can find Biotin at your local pharmacy, GNC, or Whole Foods. Collegiettes should be taking 30 micrograms a day. Warning: Some have a weird taste and a not-so-appetizing smell.

2. Multi-Vitamin. To stay on track throughout the day and to have a good diet, we need a multi-vitamin with folic acid or folate. A multi-vitamin for women ages 18-40 is absolutely essential to our health. Especially if you’re looking to start a family one day. Out of all the vitamins out there, this is THE ONE ladies. Make sure it’s for women!

3. Iron. Another important vitamin to add to the list. If you’re not eating red meat every day, then you should think about taking Iron because it delivers oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. Every month, we menstruate and we lose that iron. However, a daily dose of 10-20 milligrams will make up for that loss!

4. Probiotic. If you want to keep your stomach, gut, and intestines nice and healthy, try taking some probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that help us digest our food and strengthen our immune system. Take this on an empty stomach!

5. Fish Oil. This is also great for your hair, skin, and nails. If you are depressed or experience bad cramps during your period, Fish Oil can definitely help! It also supports your heart and blood systems and lowers cholesterol. Take about 1-2 grams per day.

6. Resveratrol. This helps the fight against cancer and heart disease (heart disease is most common in women). It’s found in red wine and grapes. So, one capsule a day will keep you young forever.

7. Zinc. Attention all vegetarians and pregnant women! Zinc is vital to your health. Vegetarians don’t get much zinc because if you’re eating a lot legume, they prevent your body from getting zinc. Pregnant women should take zinc because your sweet little baby is taking it all. Zinc also strengthens our immune system and fights off diseases. Take about 8-11 milligrams of zing per day.

8. Calcium-Magnesium. We can’t forget our daily dose of calcium to keep our bones, teeth, and muscles strong.  Of course you can get calcium through other products, but when you’re on the run, a simple capsule a day (must be taken separately from your other vitamins in order for your other vitamins to work correctly and on an empty stomach) will do it!

9. Vitamin D. Unfortunately we live in an area where we don’t get all that much sunlight except during the Spring and Summer. The rest of the year makes it hard to get vitamin naturally through sunlight. Especially with this past winter! (Phew, thank God that’s over.) We need Vitamin D to keep our bones and cells healthy.

10. B Vitamin. As collegiettes, we often study a lot, don’t get enough sleep, and drink. B vitamins help your brain function, boosts our immune and nervous systems, and gives us a ton of energy. It’s commonly found in energy drinks and hangover remedies. 

Photo Credit: 1

I'm an eternal optimist, aspiring PR girl, fashionsta and friend. I love my position at Her Campus Montclair. Being Editor-in-Chief has taught me how to manage time, be creative with content, and most of all, how to be an effective leader. I'm currently the social media manager at the New Yorker Hotel and Manhattan Center in NYC. When I was the social media director for HC Montclair, I learned just how incredible being connected with the world could be for any business. Social media has become a part of almost everyone's life. I adore it for all it can do and hope to one day own a social media consulting firm that can go into struggling businesses or start up businesses and help them out.