you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Interview Advice You’ll Ever Receive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Throughout the years, we’ve all heard a wide range and variety of interview advice. For some, “fake it ’til you make it” makes the most sense and works best. For others, molding yourself to fit the characteristics of each job you apply for is what works best. For others, it’s nerve-wracking to even think of an interview, and thus interviews never go quite as planned. When I think back on the advice I’ve received about interviewing, I always think of the emphasis on networking with everyone, even if you aren’t necessarily enthralled by their line of work, because of course you never know what kind of offers you’ll receive. Of course, I think about “fake it ’til you make it,” which has never worked for me. I think of playing up my strengths, turning weaknesses into strengths, drawing on examples from my other experiences to show what I know, etc. Of course, all of these are very valuable pieces of advice! Never take someone’s advice for granted or disregard it, because you never know when it might come in handy! I still reference things told to me years ago by high school teachers, professors from freshman year, and even my parents! You never know when something will come in handy. However, the best piece of advice I’ve ever received is this: 

BE YOURSELF! 

It sounds kind of wild, right? Just being yourself?! It sounds too simple! It is simple, and this is how I think of it: If you’ve faked it on a job interview and then you land the job, how long will you be able to hold up the persona you originally presented? How long until you start feeling uncomfortable? It’s so much better to present yourself as you are in an interview! Then your employer has a better understanding of who you are right off the bat, instead of finding out months down the road. Of course, practice proper etiquette (i.e, if cursing excessively is part of “who you are,” don’t do it on an interview), but be yourself – show them how passionate you are about a position or the particular field, show them that you have a sense of humor and are flexible, and prove your enthusiasm. All the experience in the world means less when it lacks passion and enthusiasm. 

Good luck to all my fellow Lions on their interviews for jobs, summer jobs, and internships. Be yourself and be the best you can be – you’ll land the perfect job in no time. 

Katherine (Katt) is a senior studying Business Management and Philosophy at Molloy. She's an officer for Phi Sigma Tau and an active member of Sigma Beta Delta. She's a staunch advocate for the commuter life, has studied abroad in France, Sweden, Japan, and Spain, and spent two spring breaks in New Orleans building homes for those affected by Hurricane Katrina. She's an intern for a local non-profit, works part-time at a chocolate factory, and volunteers teaching English to new Americans! She is looking forward to contributing a lot during Molloy's first full year of having a HerCampus Chapter, and will [hopefully] be able to impart some quasi-wisdom on the underclassmen before graduating. Outside of school, she loves traveling, reading, writing, spending time with family, friends, and her boyfriend, and being outdoors.