5 Ways to Stay Healthy This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

The “spring” semester sounds nice in theory, but we all know it is filled with freezing temperatures and coughing students. Getting sick during school can cause you to fall behind and lose your motivation. We can avoid this with 5 easy tips!  

1. Exercise 

You’ve probably seen exercise on many lists and think it does not apply to you- well, it does! Whether you’re in shape from sports or your favorite sport is Netflix, we could all use a little extra movement. Exercise reduces stress and improves your mood, it can also help boost your energy on those days when you’re feeling low. If you’re not ready to spend all of your time at the Fitness Center, take small steps like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or trying out one of Molloy’s Wellness programs like yoga. It can be tough to find motivation at first, but once you’re in a routine you’ll enjoy your healthy, new habit.

2. Eat Right!

When you have a full class load, internships and club meetings, it can be really easy to run to the vending machine and spend all of your money on Snicker bars. A treat is okay every now and then, but do not make it a habit. Eating sugary foods and drinks all of the time can lead to energy crashes and just feeling all-around terrible during your long day. Try bringing snacks or even lunch from home! If that does not work for you, the Anselma Room has a full salad bar and usually serves vegetables with every meal available. Eating right does not mean you have to be on a diet, it’s just about eating well as often as you can, it will help your body feel great. The only thing worse than eating unhealthy food is not eating at all, so make sure you eat when you’re hungry- keep a protein bar in your bag to save you when you’re starving! 

3. Avoid All-Nighters

Easier said than done, right? It’s the night before a big exam and you’ve barely studied, what will you do? Any information you try to cram while tired and panicked will more than likely not retain in your brain. This will leave you tired, grumpy and worried! Sleep affects your brain greatly, so it would be best to get to bed early and wake up early to do some last minute exam-cramming. Make sure to get as much sleep as you can before an exam, you will be well-rested and your mind will be able to work more effciently. 

4. Be Vigilant

When avoiding illnesses, it is important to remain on the defensive side. Of course, anyone can get sick no matter how much they prepare, but it’s better to give yourself a fighitng chance! If your friends are sick, make sure that you do not stay around them for too long. While it’s nice to help out an ill friend by bringing them their missed work, you need to make sure to protect yourself as well. You can also combat getting sick by making sure that you always wash your hands and drink a lot of fluids- mostly water! This way, your body can work at its optimal strength and speed to combat against illnesses. 

5. Give Yourself a Break

You know how hard you work; being in college is more stressful than people think. Sometimes you may think it is important to keep up with your peers and do everything around campus, get high grades and volunteer for all events, but keep your mental health in mind. This is just as important as keeping your physical health in check! If you’ve been working hard lately, you should reward yourself with a little relaxation, even if that is just a cup of coffee and five minutes to yourself. Remember that stress has a large effect on the body, mind and motivation- and it usually creeps up on you and you feel overwhelmed. Balance out your life by making sure you take some time to yourself, you don’t have to be a super-person, you just have to be a happy, healthy you! 

Toni Martini is an Elementary Education major in her senior year at Molloy College. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief in her college's media organization and has a passion for writing. When she isn't running around to events with her camera, she can be found drinking copious cups of coffee with her friends and is always carrying a smile in her obnoxiously tiny purse. Toni is feverishly passionate about representing Molloy College with Her Campus and is overly excited every time her staff has a meeting.  Her goals are to bring happiness to others with her writing and eat chocolate on every continent.