photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

10 Things You Learn in College and Nowhere Else

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

1. You can use a microwave for more than heating up last weeks left overs, and eating ramen. This contraption can cook things for you, my personal favorite being hot dogs and POTATOES.

What a useful little contraption it is. Any food can be cooked if you believe enough. And no, do not give the microwave a child sacrifice no matter how much it asks you! 

2. Speaking of ramen, you can survive off of this for a very very very very VERY long. Although it really isn’t advised. We must however all learn from our mistakes so if you must, have a go at it.  Every time you eat one you can feel the sodium filling up your veins! That’s why you can only survive so long on ramen. Unless you’re like me of course and are already a salty person in general. Who needs water anyway? Too much sodium only gives you higher chances of heart failure. Guess we always have that to look forward to!

3. Showering barefoot in the comfort of your own private shower at home is a luxury, do not take this for granted.

All those dorming students know exactly what I am talking about. And all the commuters that have slept over too! It’s just the best feeling to shower with flip flops on and share a showering space with several other people you barely know! But at least you get to experience it right?! Now you can appreciate showering at home better.

4. Money exists for far more than feeding yourself anything other than cafeteria food. Save up, you’re going to need it. You’re future self will thank you. 

Nothing teaches you better than college on how to save your money! Textbooks, food, personal needs, and most importantly- emergencies!!! Always save your money and be prepared! And don’t do something silly like spend $90 on a cardigan from Zara and spend the next two weeks starving and begging for food! Because I totally haven’t done that before! (It was still worth it!)

5. There is no such thing as proscrastination as long as you get the job done. 

Although this is true, procrastination should still be avoided. It only stresses you out like crazy and makes you want to pull your hair out. Planning ahead and being organized is always your best option! But sometimes life just happens and you put that assignment off forever. But never doubt that you can’t do something the night before it’s due either. You can, you just die on the inside when it happens and run off no sleep for the rest of the day. Coffee is now your new best friend.

6. The zombie apocolypse is real. Just walk in to any part of a campus during finals week.

Oh and don’t worry about trying to look good during finals week. The zombie apocalypse is upon you, the last thing you need to worry about is looking good. This week is all about survival. Pass those finals, even if your skin will hate you for it and your friends will constantly ask you “Are you okay?”

7. It is more than okay to wear the same sweatshirt several times a week. For all they know everything you own has your schools logo on it.

Plus not much feels better than wearing a hoodie. It’s comfy and sometimes you need that comfort as you’re trying to get through a tough week. It happens to everyone and no one will judge you. Everyone is going or has gone through similar feelings that you have, we all do go to college together. The Molloy sweatshirts do happen to be particuarly comfortable in case you are wondering (or you just have tons of school spirit).

8. Deodorant is your friend, don’t let yourself smell like the hallways of your dorm or classroom.

I hope this is something you learned before college. But if not, well now you know! You can use that money you’ve been saving up so wisely to buy deodorant. Showers are just simply not enough and you will learn that quickly. If you dorm and you have a roomate that just doesn’t get this concept, save your nostrils and just buy them some deodorant. I’m sure they’ll get the hint!

9. Changing your major three times says absolutely nothing about how stable you are as a person. You perfect little peach, you dandelion, you are a star. Same applies to switching jobs several times now or in the near future.

I am lucky I even got out of bed this morning, you really think I know EXACTLY what I want to do with my life? The only thing I’m sure I could do as a living is sleep, if only that were a career. Plus people change their minds all the time!! It says nothing about you as a person. Change your mind and change your major all you want! Do what satisfies you and makes you happy!

10. You may think you’re lost during the time that you are in school, but have no fear it gets even worse and that much more real when you graduate. The only solution to this is to get about five masters degrees and to just keep on going. 

Ah yes the adult world. Such a fun place filled with such fun responsibilities. So many things to look forward to like struggling to find a job even though you did in fact get your Master’s degree that you worked really hard to get. Not even retail will take you now because you’re “over-qualified.” And you basically have to do everything on your own and take care of yourself! Looks like we’re having ramen noodles again tonight! Maybe you can put that Master’s degree to actual use and use it as a place mat!

Travis is 19 in his fourth semester of college! He is considered a Junior at Molloy and majors in Accounting! When he discovered(?) Her Campus at his school he immediately joined and became a writer and the Instragram coordinator. Now he is proud to be a Campus Correspondent!