This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

In high school I weighed 125 pounds – soaking wet. My arms and legs were so thin that even something as insignificant as me tripping over my own feet could result in a broken bone, and a stiff wind could have blown me to Jupiter. By senior year I stood 5’8”, a whole 3 inches taller than the rest of my friends. I ran track, was a cheerleader and ate whatever I felt like eating, but for the longest time I remained a size 00. High school is tough enough, it seems more and more like a competition to be “skinny and pretty” than a social learning experience.

I got my first gym membership around 2010, and even then I was too scared to cross the invisible line between cardio (woman’s world) and weights (man’s land). A post-work trip to the gym with my co-worker one day was the start of my transformation. She was an athlete in high school, hockey being her sport of choice. I had mentioned that I wanted to gain more muscle – mostly for the sake of being a Law Enforcement major who would need it for her job. She gave me a tour of the weights and machines, and we got started training the very same day.

Two months later, I’m working parts of my body that I didn’t even know existed, and keeping up with the boys while I do it. My arms are my favorite part of the transformation. Today I weigh a happy and healthy 140 pounds, and even though I’m not as good as I’m gonna get, I’m better than I used to be.

Amanda is a Law Enforcement major at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She began her senior year of college in August, 2017. When she's not on campus she works as a toddler teacher. Amanda also serves as the co-chair of Diversity and Recruitment for MNSU Her Campus.
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.