This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Everyone hates getting sick, and this time of year it seems to be circulating faster than we can handle, one round of the respiratory attacking, fatigue inducing plague hitting before we can even recover from the last one. What’s even worse is getting sick at school, away from the comfort of home- and mostly your mom. However, there is something you can do to avoid it. Something as simple, or as complicated, as what we fuel our bodies with can have a significant effect on our immune systems and how well they function, and it isn’t what you think. I’m not going to tell you that you have to go out and buy an overpriced container of ‘superfood’ powder or cleanse or any other craziness. The key here is whole, natural, REAL foods that are easy to find and can be rather enjoyable to consume. Here are some ideas:

• Green Tea: Antioxidants is going to be a theme here, and green tea is packed with catechins, that give your immune system a boost and warm you up while you’re at it.

• Honey: Maybe even in your tea? Raw honey tastes great and also has a ton of antioxidants and is a great alternative to sugar that can actually weaken your immune system with its inflammatory properties.

• Greek Yogurt: The good bacteria in yogurt keeps your digestive system running smoothly to fight the bad bacteria which can invite in sickness.

• Poultry: This will be your chicken and light turkey, that contain lots of vitamins B-6 and give lots of energy to make new, healthy red blood cells and maintain chemical reactions.

• Sweet Potatoes: Packed full of beta carotene, these yummy spuds will give you a boost of Vitamin A which is important for healthy nose and throat mucus membranes- the first line of defense that keeps you healthy. Red peppers and carrots are also a good choice!

• Citrus fruits: Now this one is probably the first that came to mind. With their high antitoxin content and vitamin C, they are excellent at fighting free radicals and keeping sickness at bay. Vitamin C is great for minimizing cold and flu symptoms, too. Think grapefruits, oranges, and even strawberries and kiwis. The flavonoids and phytochemicals in berries are strong antioxidants, as well.
  • Leafy Greens: Greens are loaded with fiber, vitamins, and more antioxidants to boost immune function and keep you in tiptop shape! Similar to broccoli, cooking these will give you the most health benefits

• Fish: Rule of thumb for seafood, health benefit wise, is stick to fatty fish like tuna and salmon. They contain lots of healthy Omega 3’s which improve white blood cell activity and in turn back up your body’s line of defense. Their boost of protein also helps your body make antibodies. Shellfish like lobster and crab are also packed with zinc and vitamins and minerals to keep cells functioning the way they should!

• Eggs: These versatile little guys are super nutrient rich, all around good for you with a little protein, antioxidants, healthy fats, and lots of vitamins. Nuts are also good sources of healthy fats!

Staying healthy this season really can be as simple as adding a few foods to your diet! Now let’s kick that cold!

I am a senior Marketing major and Innovation and Entrepreneurship minor at MNSU, Mankato. I've been in charge of both the Marketing and Event teams for my Her Campus chapter and I love every second! Just a small town girl who loves Jesus, cooking and baking, being active, getting lots of sunshine, traveling, and spending time with her amazing family! 
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.