This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

If you have turned on the news or browsed the internet over the past week, you are sure to have seen the devastation that has hit Houston, Texas. Hurricane Harvey has already been labeled as the worst continental rainstorm the U.S. has ever seen, with the death toll now having past fifty and expected to rise. The stories of grief are utterly heart-wrenching, and it is predicted that it will take years for Houston to make a full recovery.

Just this past Sunday, actor, comedian, writer and producer Kevin Hart challenged various public figures to donate $25,000 to assist those that have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. Figures on Kevin Hart’s list included Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, and The Rock, but the number of other celebrities that have pledged hundreds of thousands of dollars to the American Red Cross is truly astounding. It was announced on Monday that Sandra Bullock donated $1 million to the American Red Cross for assistance with relief efforts. In a comment made to CNN, Sandra Bullock stated, “I’m just glad I can do it. We have to take care of one another.”

Though some voices may be louder than others, we can all do our part to help the victims of Harvey. You can donate to the American Red Cross, or continue to share on social media just how catastrophic Hurricane Harvey has proven to be. Though we may live in a time where our differences are exemplified on a national level, a disaster like this shows just how important it is for us all to be there for one another. As citizens of the United States, it is important for us all to step up and do our part, and it is remarkable to see public figures using their platform to do just that.

Please consider donating! 

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. 
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.