neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Start a Blog!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Blogging has not only become a growing hobby among people in today’s society, but it’s also become a profession! You’d surprised how many people read and stay up-to-date with their favorite bloggers. It’s just like reading your favorite novel, right? I’m sure you’ve come across quite a few blogs in your lifetime – some professional, some “dear diary” like and perhaps a few portfolios of work. The options between creating and writing for your own blog are endless, so I’m here to give you a few simple steps in setting up our own blog.

Step 1: Find your niche.

It’s really important to spend time determining what you want your blog to be about. Is it a place to talk about your life lessons? How to prepare a home-cooked meal? A diary of all the places you’ve traveled? Whatever it might be, try to center it on one true theme or niche. With this in mind, your readers will have a better idea of who you are, what you like and if they would like to see future posts from you. Finding your focus is a great way to develop relationships with fellow bloggers and grow together!

Step 2: Pick a name.

You may not think so, but naming your blog is SO important. It really is the first impression to any reader and can give others a quick idea of what you’re all about. It’s also great to have something that sounds nice when you say it 100 times because, in all honesty, you probably will throughout your blogging journey. There are a lot of helpful “website name generators” on the web if you’re having difficulty coming up with something on your own. Have fun with it and stay true to yourself and your blog!

Step 3: Pick a platform or host.

This is a crucial step that you’ll want to spend a lot of time determining. You’re going to need to pick a website or host service to set up your blog; sites such as WordPress, Blogger, and Wix, are all great starting points for beginning bloggers. All of these platforms have an easy creating process, with free templates to guide you in your creation process. If you’re a tech-wiz and looking to build your blog from scratch, you might be interested in setting up with a host such as BlueHost to assist you in your process. Remember, do some research on the platforms that are available and pick a site you feel comfortable using and depending on.

Step 4: Write, Write, Write!

As a blog reader myself, I love when an individual launches their blog and there’s a handful of well-written posts to explore. Before launching your blog, it’s important to have a mini portfolio of what your blog will offer and what to look forward to if your reader should stick with you. Don’t be afraid to be honest in your writing, because people love when bloggers provide authentic pieces, and it also establishes a trusting relationship with your audience. When writing, make sure you’re having fun and taking your time, should you need it. You don’t want to get caught up with posting, just to post and end up writing pieces you aren’t satisfied with. The best thing about having your own blog is that you create your schedule! Don’t feel rushed in writing.

Step 5. Just launch.

This step is the hardest for any blogger. No matter how hard you might try, there will always be something to fix, clean up or add to when creating your blog, but you just have to launch. If you wait for perfection, you will be waiting to publish your blog for quite some time and you don’t want to miss out on all the fun. I promise you that you will learn so much along the way and your blog will always be growing and changing. Launching is a scary and daunting step, but once you share it with your audience, it’s magic. Sharing your creation with people is very rewarding, especially because you’ve spent all this time setting it up. Don’t be afraid, be proud!

There you have it, five easy steps to set up your blog. Everything that might you confront within should be self-explanatory. Should you be sharing this blog with the world, a close group of friends, or if it’s only for yourself, be sure to spend time creating something you love. Your blog will be a place you might visit daily and you want to be sure it’s a place that brings you peace and joy. I’m anxiously awaiting your first post, so get writing!

Hello! My name's Emily, but most people call me "Ems". At 20-years-old, I'm currently attending Minnesota State University, Mankato and pursuing a Mass Media Communications degree. I'm an iced coffee addict, Netflix junky, social media fanatic, fashion enthusiast and family-oriented gal. I live for Minnesota summers at my family cabin, discovering new coffee shops, testing out all the latest trends and snapping pictures with my friends and boyfriend. Cheers to a beautiful and breathtaking spring season, and I hope you enjoy my coming posts!