This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Reading is the must-have skill and action that each college student needs and face throughout their college life. But, reading as part of the classes’ assignment or interpretation is not as enjoyable as when you read your favorite book or magazine. Reading a textbook requires high attention to the topic that could be not only abstract, theoretical but also, most of the time, about things that we are not directly interested in. So, how do we make reading more efficient and enjoyable? Here are some tips:

1.    Plan ahead, divide into parts.

Forcing yourself to read 20 pages or two chapters at once is the biggest mistake that most people make. Usually, since its too hard to start, students leave the readings until the last minute and try to finish all of them all. That’s not efficient, even if you finish all those, there would be nothing or very little left in your head. Or, you would not understand enough details or get the amount knowledge that you should have gotten after reading them. Instead, start early, with a few pages, but plan when you will continue, with another small amount. Dividing the readings to different times of the day, or the weekend will help you read with more understanding, and would not kill your intention to read next.  

2.    Find related sources

When you read a topic, you can find a video on the same topic on YouTube to watch. I would say this is the best method to really catch your brain’s attention and make more sense of what you are reading. Moreover, this would help you understand the content more profoundly, and through a more practical lens. Combining diverse ways of receiving information at the same time, through words, sounds, and visuals would stimulate the focus and absorption of the knowledge.

3.    Read together with some classmates and discuss

Doing anything with someone else is always easier than doing it alone. You can apply that rule to this situation. When you read with other people, talking about it usually brings more enjoyment to that content. You would want to read more with the active mode that you want to understand about it to efficiently show your thoughts when discussing with others.  

4.    Write down what you remember after reading each part or module

You don’t have to be serious, just do not look at the book and try to write down all things that you can remember. This way, you can keep track of what you have read, and motivate yourself to continue. Also, it helps you recall the information faster by just look at your short writing in your words.

Thao Do

Minnesota

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.