This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Domestic Violence Awareness month is over, but here are the important things to always keep in mind.

Relationships are an important part of everyone’s lives, whether it be between family, friends or your significant other. As we get older, many of us focus on finding that special someone to spend our time and possibly our whole life with. As these relationships begin, here’s what you should keep in mind: it’s important that this person respects you just as much as you respect them. If you start to notice some red flags within the relationship, you should think twice about if this will be healthy or not. Here is the number one red flag to look out for:

Taking control.

This is a very powerful characteristic that a person can have. If your significant other is wanting to know where you are at all times, there is more going on than just trust issues. You can make your own decisions, and if you can’t go somewhere without being stalked then things need to change. Make sure you have that little bit of alone time, because everyone needs it now and again.

Control issues can also occur within your personal space. For example, if you can’t text call or use any kind of social media without being watched, then it’s clear this person is trying to be in control of you and all the moves you are making. Put an end to this situation before it gets any worse.  

Watch where you spend your money. This becomes even more personal because it’s YOUR money and no one else’s. If you can’t buy that new purse you have been saving for, then something is wrong. If you can’t go grocery shopping without your significant other giving you a limit, that’s when things are taking a turn for the worst. You are in control of your own life, and if this person really cares about you, they will give you that freedom until you decide to move forward with each other.

Domestic violence is still happening, and we should be doing what we can to stop it.

My name is Nicole Hallman. I am a junior at MNSU and will be graduating in fall 2019. I'm majoring in mass media and minoring in communication studies. My hobbies consist of drinking coffee, traveling and cuddling with my dog Saul. 
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.