yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Top 5 Fall Fashion Staple Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

This time of year tends to be kind of tricky when trying to pick out an outfit to wear because it’s not freezing cold outside yet, but it’s not super warm either. Nevertheless, I love this time of year because of everything else that comes with it, including spaces feeling cozier and being able to drink hot tea nonstop. Fall fashion is a favorite of mine as well, because since the weather is in an “in between” period, you can wear pretty much anything. You could wear a tee shirt, jeans, and a pair of loafers outside and not freeze. But, if it is chillier out, you can throw on a light jacket and be okay. That’s exactly what this post is about. I’m here to share my top 5 staple transition pieces for fall. All of these pieces of clothing–and some accessories–are so versatile and can be modified to fit into your wardrobe any time of year. But, I tend to grab for these pieces especially during the fall.

1. Sweaters

This one is a given, but I had to include it! I, like pretty much everyone, absolutely love wearing sweaters. One of my favorite things about fall is being able to go out in the crisp autumn air, wearing a comfy sweater, drinking a cup of tea, and feeling cozy and content. Whether it’s a light sweater or a thick knit one, I absolutely love them. Part of the reason why I love them is because they can be styled in a variety of ways. You could wear it tucked into a skirt, with a pair of jeans, or under an overall dress with a pair of tights and boots–something I’m going to try once it gets chillier here in NYC! They are also great for layering. Layering clothing is huge in the fall, because of how fickle the weather can be. You can easily feel warmer and look stylish by simply putting a sweater on–maybe over your tee shirt as opposed to throwing on a sweatshirt. Although I love wearing sweatshirts too! I recently bought a sweater from H&M and I honestly think that it is the coziest sweater I own! It’s light grey, knit, has a bit of a high neck, and is so soft I’m obsessed with it! I can’t wait for it to get cooler here so I can wear it!

2. Boots

Another obsession I have is with boots. Whether it be ankle booties, over the knee boots, heeled boots, sparkly boots–I own a pair. Major style inspo from Harry Styles with those–UGGS, I love them all! It always feels like fall when I bring out my boots and get to wear them all the time. Not to mention, they go with literally everything–jeans, skirts, dresses, rompers, and even shorts! I feel that boots, besides ones like UGGS, really help pull together and elevate an outfit. Going back to UGGS, they are great in keeping an outfit casual and keeping you comfy.

3. Jackets

An outfit can be completely transformed by simply adding a jacket. Whether it’s a jean jacket, leather jacket, bomber jacket, moto jacket, army jacket, or a blazer–just to name a few–they’re all staple pieces in my wardrobe. Aside from the moto jacket and classic oversized jean jacket (I’m looking for some good ones, so if you know where I can buy some please let me know!) I have one of each of these jackets and get so much use out of them. I remember a few years ago, I bought an army jacket with leather jacket sleeves, mostly because Louis Tomlinson’s girlfriend Eleanor Calder had one and I was–and still am–in love with her style. That was one of those pieces that right after I bought it, I started having second thoughts about it and how much I’d actually wear it. But, contrary to my second thoughts, I wear it all the time throughout the fall and winter and I absolutely love it! Another piece that I just recently started wearing was my leather jacket. This, again, was a piece I bought a few years ago, but for some reason I always felt like I never had anywhere to wear it. When I was packing up to move here, I made sure I packed it and promised myself I’d start wearing it more regularly. Being here for almost three months now, I have worn it several times and I absolutely love it. Aside from just the fashion aspect of it, jackets add an extra layer to your outfit, keeping you nice and warm during the chillier fall months.

4. Hats

Hats have been a big trend this year. Especially heading into fall, I feel like hats are always popping up in stores. Be it beanies, ball caps, or floppy hats, they’re all over the place. They are another item that can change up your outfit and add that little extra piece to complete your look. I don’t own many fashionable hats and I’m usually not a hat person besides beanies for when it’s freezing cold outside, but with all of the stylish hats that have been coming out recently–I really want one of those newsboy hats that are in pretty much every store right now–I’m definitely going to be buying some and starting up a little collection.

5. Scarves

And last, but not least, scarves. With the weather getting chillier, scarves are a great way to stay warm and stylish. Personally, I love infinity scarves because I feel they are the easiest to throw on, but I do like regular scarves as well. They come in a variety of colors, textures, and styles and can be found pretty much everywhere. They are also a great way to add a pop of color or just add a little something extra to your outfit.  

That’s it for my top 5 fall staple pieces. I know that all of these were predictable when it comes to fall fashion, but again that’s why they are staple wardrobe pieces. They are pieces you can always rely on and keep going back to season after season. If you agree with my staples, have any of your own that I might have missed, or have any suggestions on where I can get some cute yet affordable jackets and hats for fall, definitely let me know your suggestions I hope this got you excited for fall and fall fashion! Thanks for reading!

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.        
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli