A Suburban vs. Urban University Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Wednesday is casual wear, Thursday is jeans and a nice shirt, and Friday is a little dressier than Wednesday. I live in New York City and those outfits to me are way nicer than the t-shirt and leggings you see at suburban universities. I recently visited Ohio University and while they may know how to party, there is no need to dress nice for one. Be comfortable and wear flats you don’t really care about because odds are they will get beer spilled on them anyway. Going to school and experiencing nightlife in NYC is nowhere near casual. I thought casual was black jeans, boot heals, and a tank that shows off my tattoos. I thought dressy was Blake Lively in every episode of Gossip Girl. Ohio University would have spotted me from a mile away if I showed up in any outfit I deemed casual. Here are some examples:

Ohio Casual

NYC Casual

Ohio Jeans and a nice shirt

NYC Jeans and a nice shirt

Ohio Dressy

NYC Dressy

Do you see the difference? If you don’t, I don’t know what to tell you. I have lived in both suburbia and urban areas. I see the difference. I am not saying this difference is a bad thing, but there definitely is one. Personally I prefer the New York City style.

I'm not a girl. Not yet a woman. But to you I'm a woman!
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli