Proof that Coffee is Actually Good for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Who doesn’t love the beauty of science? You indeed will, after discovering coffee is in fact healthy for you!

Millions of people consider themselves coffee lovers; in fact 54% of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee every day. Coffee touches people’s lives in a special way and Monday, September 29th, marked National Coffee Day. The reasons behind the habit of drinking coffee vary. Some drink it because they need to wake up in the morning while others just love the taste. Then there are some who feel it pairs well with certain foods, while others drink it to keep their energy levels high. Many people drink it socially as well, which is the reason behind coffee dates and having an espresso with desserts after dinner. Who doesn’t love coffee & conversation?

Sometimes people worry that they aren’t being healthy because they drink too much coffee. That’s just not true, and there is scientific proof to back that up. We get more antioxidants in this country from coffee, than from anything else (including fruits and vegetables!) Coffee reduces stress and helps with sleep deprivation. The latter is fascinating because many people assume that if you drink coffee you won’t be able to fall asleep. Coffee drinkers are less likely to get diseases, skin cancer and other diagnoses. Studies show it’s great for your heart, liver, lungs, colon and gall bladder. Even a person’s memory! It also prevents asthma. If you drink coffee, you are also less likely to commit suicide and when one is inflicted with pain, coffee acts as a pain reliever.

Athletes have better endurance when they drink coffee. In fact, The New York Times, once wrote, “Scientists and many athletes have known for years, of course, that a cup of coffee before a workout jolts athletic performance, especially in endurance sports like distance running and cycling.” The logic behind this fact is that the caffeine in coffee increases the amount of fatty acids that are in the bloodstream. This is what allows athletes to burn fat for fuel and muscles to absorb everything.

On top of all of those amazing benefits, is the fact that coffee makes people happier and more intelligent too. CNN says, “Coffee allows your brain to work in a much more efficient and smarter way.” Plus, Michael Lemonick, a reporter for TIME, says, “When you’re sleep-deprived and you take caffeine, pretty much anything you measure will improve: reaction time, vigilance, attention, logical reasoning – most of the complex functions you associate with intelligence.”

An active ingredient in coffee is caffeine, a stimulant, and the most consumed psychoactive substance in the world. Caffeine works by blocking adenosine in the brain, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Coffee, because of caffeine, raises one’s metabolism and has many nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.

If you didn’t already, you should definitely love coffee now! And now there is no reason to ever feel guilty about your addiction to your beloved coffee again, after all coffee really is the best medicine.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.